Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com> on 2013/01/03 22:44:01 UTC

Review of Core Platforms

Our CorePlatforms wiki article [1] has this:

----

Core: These are the main platforms supported by the Apache Cordova project.

* iOS
* Android
* BlackBerry
* Windows Phone
* Bada

Sunset: These are platforms considered to be on their way out of general
consumer availability. We offer code, but not distribution of these
platforms.

* Symbian
* webOS

Sunrise: These are new platforms coming to Apache Cordova with some
development under way.

* Tizen
* Qt

Horizon: These are platforms that we hope to see supported by Apache
Cordova in the future!

* B2G

----

Some propositions + questions, all up for debate of course:

- I'm not sure about Bada. Last I checked Bada's passing % of mobile-spec
is fairly weak (some features are just not doable; correct me if I'm
wrong). I would like to propose that a platform is eligible for "Core" if
they have >90% passing rate on mobile-spec. I would vote to move it into a
new "Marginal" category, along with, say, cordova-mac or cordova-qt. Also,
Bada-wac, how does this fit in?
- Where does the ubuntu phone fit into this?
- I would suggest we schedule removal of the BlackBerry 7 (java) and
Playbook (Air) implementations, and have our BlackBerry implementation be
BB10 only moving forward.
- The "Windows Phone" category above covers both 7 and 8? What about
Windows 8?

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/PlatformSupport

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Would love more #'s on Bada and BB before we get too aggressive. I
updated the Horizon section to Firefox OS. (Ubuntu is supported by way
of our Qt codebase.)

RE: Review of Core Platforms

RE: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@rim.com>.
Filip Maj wrote:
> In the past, at some point we decided to stop supporting BB OS 5 and 4.6,
> and removed those Cordova implementations. Just wanted to raise the idea
> of doing something similar for OS 7 and PlayBook once those two platforms
> get to the same level of usage.

I believe that we're expecting all PlayBook users to upgrade from 1.x/2.x to BB10 at some point, so in theory the EOL for PlayBook 1.x/2.x support could come long before the EOL for OS 7....

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

RE: Review of Core Platforms

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Ok. So I removed 'sunrise', updated the definition text to include
what was discussed here, and moved Bada to sunset.

I noticed Windows 8 made its way into our core platforms without any
mention in this thread. I have no objection to this, though I'm not
sure it implements the entirety of the definition we describe.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Some important criteria in my mind:
- are there recent contributions, and active contributors?
- is there a getting-started guide, and are quirks for existing APIs
documented?
- is there a jira component that people can submit defects under?

Ultimately I don't see value in defining things any further than just
listing what platforms are supported.  What is the use of having something
called 'core' and having some platforms, and not others in it?   We can
define in more detail what we call 'supported' or 'level of support', but
ultimately I see this as a slope and not a cliff ...

Maybe instead of calling something 'sunset' we should just list the date of
last contribution, or list the last version number where there were
contributions.

--
@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.
Yup

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
>Think its still good to make this distinction even though our scope is
>going to drastically reduce (in a sense). The benefit of these labels
>is to indicate how much involvement developers using Cordova can
>expect the Cordova platform to maintain.
>
>Core platforms target an operating system, with devices in
>circulation, providing:
>
>- A standard low level bridge API and utilities.
>- Standard set of low level CLI tools
>- Embeddable (if possible)
>- InAppBrowser and other browser-ish shims like alerts, etc.
>- [what else?]

A native plugin API?

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Ben Combee <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

RE: Review of Core Platforms

Posted by "Leutwyler, Markus" <ma...@hp.com>.
Should we put Open webOS/webOS back to the Core Platforms since Cordova's importance is publicly documented?

See http://blog.openwebosproject.org/post/39278618299/javascript-apps-for-open-webos-with-enyo-and-cordova

Markus