Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by "Tyagi, Preetika" <pr...@intel.com> on 2018/01/05 20:44:20 UTC

Question on submitting a patch

Hi all,

When I click on "Submit Patch" option, it pops up a new screen where it asks for a bunch of details including Fix Version(s). Does the patch need to be synced up with the latest repo or I can just choose which version I worked with (which may not necessarily be the latest and hence one would be need to fetch that specific repo version in order to compile source with the patch)?

Also, there is no option to upload the patch file on this screen. Can someone point out where to actually upload the patch? I haven't done before so might be asking dumb questions! :)

Thanks,
Preetika

Re: Question on submitting a patch

Posted by Michael Kjellman <mk...@internalcircle.com>.
great question! i personally always just leave everything blank to effectively just get the stupid state changed.... reason number 3000 why I personally hate JIRA.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Tyagi, Preetika <pr...@intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I click on "Submit Patch" option, it pops up a new screen where it
> asks for a bunch of details including Fix Version(s).

IF you know it, the 'Fix Version' should be set to the branches the bug
impacts.

For example, a bug that is in 3.11.0 that impacts trunk but doesn't exist
in 3.0.15, you'd set 3.11.x and 4.x, that way whoever goes to merge/commit
it for you knows which branches it impacts.

> Does the patch need to be synced up with the latest repo or I can just
> choose which version I worked with (which may not necessarily be the latest
> and hence one would be need to fetch that specific repo version in order to
> compile source with the patch)?

Any patches are better than no patches, but obviously patches for all
impacted branches are better than a patch just for the branch you use.

> Also, there is no option to upload the patch file on this screen. Can
> someone point out where to actually upload the patch? I haven't done before
> so might be asking dumb questions! :)

Paste a link to github or similar if you need, but usually "More" ->
"Attach Files" to upload a patch, and then "Submit Patch" is the workflow
to notify everyone that it's patch-available.