Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jack Nuzbit <fn...@googlemail.com> on 2009/03/19 17:33:13 UTC

T5.1: date modified in asset cache path

I've just upgraded an application from 5.0.18 to 5.1.0.1 (a very smooth
upgrade i might add) and I'm very impressed with the new performance
features, gzipping and the far future asset headers.

I was wondering if anyone's considered adding the facility to use an assets
date modified in the cache url so they could stay cached over multiple
application versions. I would say 99% of assets remain the same over
different application versions so this would be a big win. I tried it out by
making a change to the ContextAssetFactory and the AssetDispatcher and it
worked very nicely.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jack

Re: T5.1: date modified in asset cache path

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
For that we put images into S3, so we have valid perma-links :)
Since tapestry does lots of url magic, we never use relative urls.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Much of the time, you will be using CSS and other assets in concert
with each other. If you created a virtual folder for the CSS based on
the DTM of the CSS, relative URLs from the CSS file to image assets
(each in a virtual folder based on DTM of the asset) would break.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I myself want the assets to be cached with a MD5 signature, so I don't have
> to track explicit versions.. etc etc. (that's what we do right now with our
> own AssetFactory, but we have not upgraded to 5.1..)
>
> On 3/19/09 9:33 AM, Jack Nuzbit wrote:
>>
>> I've just upgraded an application from 5.0.18 to 5.1.0.1 (a very smooth
>> upgrade i might add) and I'm very impressed with the new performance
>> features, gzipping and the far future asset headers.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone's considered adding the facility to use an
>> assets
>> date modified in the cache url so they could stay cached over multiple
>> application versions. I would say 99% of assets remain the same over
>> different application versions so this would be a big win. I tried it out
>> by
>> making a change to the ContextAssetFactory and the AssetDispatcher and it
>> worked very nicely.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts on this?
>>

>> Jack

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5.1: date modified in asset cache path

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Jack Nuzbit <fn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've just upgraded an application from 5.0.18 to 5.1.0.1 (a very smooth
> upgrade i might add) and I'm very impressed with the new performance
> features, gzipping and the far future asset headers.

All good to hear, especially w.r.t. the upgrade; I'm anxiously
watching to see if people have trouble with the change to deprecated
PrimaryKeyEncoder.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship