Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/19 18:58:20 UTC

Re: JSF vs Struts - Development Process Questions

I have some questions regarding the development process when using JSF, especially in realtion to
HTML designers.  Will everyone on the team need the same advanced design tools?  Will the
designers who are used to tweaking HTML/JSP be restricted to a completely visual drag and drop
environment? Or even worse, will the HTML designers be required to learn JSF mark up code?

There was another thread a few weeks ago relating to the general development process.  Like many
others, we have gotten used to the process where the HTML designers mock up a page and then a
software engineer transition the page to a JSP and wires it into our system (using Struts, and
JSTL).  What is the vision for the development process in JSF?

Also, what is the ultimate vision for JSF?  Do you invision a IDE that can create interfaces on
the same level as Flash?  A question asked earlier in this thread:  Will JSF integrate with Flash
forms?  It would be cool to have one integrated development system that could do it all.

This thread was started with the question, "If you were starting a project today, what would you
use, Struts or JSF?"  My answer is, I would use Struts with JSTL and I would purchase the new
Eclipse based IDE, NitroX (http://www.m7.com/).  We purchased licenses for NitroX after our CTO
came back from JavaOne.  It looks like the creative people at M7 have done a lot of things right;
they even have planned support for JSF.  NitroX may very well evolve into the IDE that can do it
all.  The best thing about NitroX is that it will enable a transition from Struts to JSF if you
decide to go that route.  The main reason I would choose Struts/JSTL over JSF is that it works
well within the existing skill sets of most developers and designers.

I would keep an open mind regarding JSF, especially in regard to high level components that are
not easily created using JSP/JSTL.  This is the area where JSF could win the game.

In the near term, my guess is that the really cool advanced interfaces are going to require Flash.
 If you'd like to see some leading edge Flash, turn up your sound and go to
http://www.2advanced.com/

Mike

Posted by Bryan Hunt <ad...@revoltingdigits.com>.
JSF with spring and hibernate tutorial.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-2004/jw-0719-jsf.html
<http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-2004/jw-0719-jsf.html>

Guess I should read it before I comment again.

--b

Posted by Bryan Hunt <ad...@revoltingdigits.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
At 10:51 AM 7/19/2004, you wrote:
> >  If you'd like to see some leading edge Flash, turn up your sound and go to
> > http://www.2advanced.com/

HELLO! Wow!

RE: JSF vs Struts - Development Process Questions

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
>  If you'd like to see some leading edge Flash, turn up your sound and go to
> http://www.2advanced.com/
That's some pretty cool stuff!

robert