Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by "Hubert, Eric" <Er...@foxmobile.com> on 2009/04/14 18:31:21 UTC

JMX and security improvements

Hi all,

At the weekend I took some time to work on improving JMX and security support: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-526

Basically I incorporated the feedback received and had a look on Indikas quite flexible Security API he first introduced to datasources. As I'm already interested in using this, I first added a small implementation to support the default "JBoss way" of encryption (fixed passphrase) and other encoding. Additionally I enhanced the current CipherTool to be able to encrypt/decrypt using a simple passphrase.

The next step I did was using the secret API also for JMX credentials. I therefore tried to come up with a default implementation which could be used to encrypt passwords also in other places without having to care to much about the internal security API offering a great flexibility which might not always be needed.

I tested my changes for a lot of different scenarios, but I'm not sure whether I covered them all, as I likely even don't know all of them.

So this is why I would like to ask anyone who could spend some minutes to review those changes/additions.

Thanks a lot!
   Eric

Re: JMX and security improvements

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
The patch is related to code I'm not very familiar with, so I will not
be able to provide feedback. If you and Ruwan reviewed the patch, then
we should commit it.

Andreas

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 for committing the patch, seems OK to me.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Senior Software Engineer & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb

Re: JMX and security improvements

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric
> Yeah, it would be fine if the code could be committed any time soon. Indika lately already indicated that he will not be able to spend much time on Synapse in the near future, so I did not expect an immediate answer from him, although this of cause would be very valuable.
>
> Personally I would like to highlight that I feel responsible for my submissions. So if something should break because I may have missed a test case, I will of cause help to fix the issue quickly.

The code is committed, so you should be ok to proceed.. please keep an
eye for testing and possible user comments related to this area in
future which would be helpful
> My next contribution basing on this one is already on the way. Actually the implementation is done, but I need a few more hours for proper testing.

Cool, I hope you have a JIRA open?

cheers
asankha

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <Er...@foxmobile.com>.