Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2005/12/05 06:24:43 UTC

[VOTE] Struts Scripting 1.0.0 Quality

After addressing all issues found with the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 test
build, I've built, tagged and deployed the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 build.
Once you have had a chance to form an opinion on the quality of this
build, please respond to the following vote.

Based on its quality, the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 build should be
classified as:

[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] General Availability (GA)

If you are voting for Alpha or Beta, please state your concerns with the
build as it is today.

Only the votes of Struts PMC members are binding, however we value the
opinions of the Struts community and welcome non PMC member votes.

The build can be found in the Struts Scripting development build
directory: http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/scripting/v1.0.0/

Finally, here is my +1 for GA

Don

Re: [VOTE] Struts Scripting 1.0.0 Quality

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Without delving too deep, it looks good to me.

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

> After addressing all issues found with the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 test
> build, I've built, tagged and deployed the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 build.
> Once you have had a chance to form an opinion on the quality of this
> build, please respond to the following vote.

> Based on its quality, the Struts Scripting 1.0.0 build should be
> classified as:
>
> [X] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [ ] General Availability (GA)
>
> If you are voting for Alpha or Beta, please state your concerns with the
> build as it is today.

The main concern I have is that the distribution includes BeanShell, which
is dual licensed under LGPL and Sun Public License. I know for sure that the
LGPL license won't work for us. I don't know about the Sun Public License,
but we need to get the ASF legal folks' ruling on that. Sadly, I don't think
the record has been good on Sun licenses being compatible.

Other comments:

1) The User Guide states that BeanShell is shipped with Struts Scripting.
Technically that is true, but you have to dig around inside the
struts-example.war file to find it. I'm sure that wasn't the intent.

2) There are 122 Checkstyle errors and 1 PMD error.

3) The NOTICE.txt file says that ANTLR is included, but it doesn't seem to
be.

4) The User Guide refers to struts-scripting-1.0.jar, but it's actually
struts-scripting-1.0.0.jar (i.e. it's missing an additional '.0').

5) There's a typo in the <set-property/> example in the docs.

6) The link to the JCoverage report is broken.

7) The mailing list info is missing from Project Info.

8) It would be good to add comments to the various dependencies in
project.xml, so that those show up in Project Info. The main reason is to
point out that few of those dependencies are actually required.

9) I think the link for "Download (old)" should be removed. The code has
been at the ASF for a while now, and I don't see a need to point back to
SourceForge any more.

10) There are several references to Beans Scripting Framework that should be
Bean Scripting Framework (i.e. Bean is singular).

11) The hybrid Maven / Ant build system seems odd, but I haven't taken the
time to look into whether or not that's really necessary.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Darn, ok, well, I went ahead and replaced BeanShell with Groovy as I believe
that project should pass legal mustard.

I'd like to roll a quick release tomorrow with these and other minor changes
Martin mentioned, and start another vote.  Any objections?

Don

Martin Cooper wrote:
  > The main concern I have is that the distribution includes BeanShell, which
> is dual licensed under LGPL and Sun Public License. I know for sure that the
> LGPL license won't work for us. I don't know about the Sun Public License,
> but we need to get the ASF legal folks' ruling on that. Sadly, I don't think
> the record has been good on Sun licenses being compatible.

Mitigated due to changing from BeanShell to Groovy

> Other comments:
>
> 1) The User Guide states that BeanShell is shipped with Struts Scripting.
> Technically that is true, but you have to dig around inside the
> struts-example.war file to find it. I'm sure that wasn't the intent.

Fixed

> 2) There are 122 Checkstyle errors and 1 PMD error.
>
> 3) The NOTICE.txt file says that ANTLR is included, but it doesn't seem to
> be.

Fixed.

> 4) The User Guide refers to struts-scripting-1.0.jar, but it's actually
> struts-scripting-1.0.0.jar (i.e. it's missing an additional '.0').

Fixed.

> 5) There's a typo in the <set-property/> example in the docs.

Fixed.

> 6) The link to the JCoverage report is broken.

Fixed by removing report

> 7) The mailing list info is missing from Project Info.

Fixed.

> 8) It would be good to add comments to the various dependencies in
> project.xml, so that those show up in Project Info. The main reason is to
> point out that few of those dependencies are actually required.

Fixed.

> 9) I think the link for "Download (old)" should be removed. The code has
> been at the ASF for a while now, and I don't see a need to point back to
> SourceForge any more.

Fixed.

> 10) There are several references to Beans Scripting Framework that should be
> Bean Scripting Framework (i.e. Bean is singular).

Fixed.

> 11) The hybrid Maven / Ant build system seems odd, but I haven't taken the
> time to look into whether or not that's really necessary.

I might eventually move everything over to Maven, but I don't mind the
duplication for now.  I really only use Maven for deployments and releases,
since Ant is faster and easier to customize.

Don

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.