Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Christian Oloff <ch...@web.de> on 2007/08/29 21:27:39 UTC

Links in tutorial leading to error 404

Dear All,

while trying to learn more about jelly I ran into the following issue:

Many of the links on http://commons.apache.org/jelly/tutorial.html lead
to a 404 File not Found error. An example is the 'demo script' link in
section JellySwing, 4th paragraph:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
It is redirected to
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
which reports the 404 error.

Could someone please fix it and / or could someone tell me how I can
access the demo stuff in order to learn the basics about jelly? Or are
there any other resources I can use?

Any help appreciated!

Best regards,
Chris

Re: [jelly] Re: Links in tutorial leading to error 404

Posted by Christian Oloff <ch...@web.de>.
Paul, Simon,

thanks for your explanations. This helps me in finding my way further.

If I run into any other issues concerning jelly, I'll post again here.
Consider this issue closed for the time being ;-)

Best regards,
Christian

Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Christian,
>
> (please note the subject box-mark so that it can be filtered faster)
>
> indeed, jelly's site maintenance is lagging behind.
> Basically, this is due to two things which current jelly developers
> could not face yet for lack of time:
> - there has been an attempt to make the tag-doc better using ant which
> makes a deeper site revision necessary (see, e.g.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JELLY-272)
> - building the website of jelly takes an enormous time because of
> building each tag-lib website... maybe that's fixed since maven-1.1,
> not sure
>
> And all this is overdue since the move of commons to TLP (a month or
> two ago).
>
> the source reference you are looking for is:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/jelly/trunk/jelly-tags/swing/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/swing/example.jelly?view=markup
>

> maybe that gives you a hint how to fix manually other errors until we
> find some time.
>
> As Simon points out, jelly development is not alive. Current
> developers still love it and there still is a strong potential of
> applications (to my surprise, after 4 years, this is still much valid)
> but it hasn't been able to mature to 1.0 yet.
>
> Maybe a radical move would be to simplify the whole thing... that
> might ease it all. Not sure.
>
> paul
>

> Le 29 août 07 à 21:27, Christian Oloff a écrit :
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> while trying to learn more about jelly I ran into the following issue:
>>
>> Many of the links on http://commons.apache.org/jelly/tutorial.html
>> lead to a 404 File not Found error. An example is the 'demo script'
>> link in section JellySwing, 4th paragraph:
>> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>>
>> It is redirected to
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>> which reports the 404 error.
>>
>> Could someone please fix it and / or could someone tell me how I can
>> access the demo stuff in order to learn the basics about jelly? Or
>> are there any other resources I can use?
>>
>> Any help appreciated!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Chris

Christian Oloff
mobile +49 174 318 53 72
home +49 621 4014 712
email christian.oloff@web.de
skype boatvase

[jelly] Re: Links in tutorial leading to error 404

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Christian,

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 21:27 +0200, Christian Oloff wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> while trying to learn more about jelly I ran into the following issue:
>
> Many of the links on http://commons.apache.org/jelly/tutorial.html lead
> to a 404 File not Found error. An example is the 'demo script' link in
> section JellySwing, 4th paragraph:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> It is redirected to
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> which reports the 404 error.
>
> Could someone please fix it and / or could someone tell me how I can
> access the demo stuff in order to learn the basics about jelly? Or are
> there any other resources I can use?

It's partly due to the recent move from jakarta.apache.org/commons to
commons.apache.org. However it also seems to me that the tutorial links
are rather out-of-sync with the code anyway..

You'll find all the jelly files at their new home here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jelly/

It  looks like the tutorial refers to some older version of Jelly
though, as the swing/example.jelly file isn't exactly where your url is
looking for it. I found something that looks similar here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jelly/trunk/jelly-tags/swing/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/swing/

Jelly seems to have fallen out of favour over the last few years; I've
hardly seen anyone talking about it on the user lists and not a lot of
action on the dev lists either so I wouldn't say the changes of the
tutorial getting fixed are high...

Regards,

Simon