Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Rong-en Fan <gr...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/20 11:49:42 UTC

length of row key and column name

Hi,

I know that we can have length limit for the cell when creating
a table. But I'm not sure if there are any lengh limit of the  row
key and the column name?

Thanks,
Rong-En Fan

Re: length of row key and column name

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I can't cite a use-case Rong-en but I'd bet someone will need it, sometime.
St.Ack

Posted by Jim Kellerman <ji...@powerset.com>.
Actually, the length limit on a cell is not enforced anywhere. I suppose it was put there because someone thought that it might be useful at some point in time. For practical purposes, a row (including row and column keys and values) should be less than the maximum region size (which is configurable and defaults to 256MB)

---

Checked by AVG.

Re: length of row key and column name

Posted by Rong-en Fan <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Kellerman <ji...@powerset.com>.
No, there is no way to specify the maximum length of a row key or a column name.

---

Checked by AVG.