Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Subhash Pophale <su...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/31 18:18:29 UTC

How to designTemporal table in Hbase

Hi All,

I am new to Hbase database. I am planning to create rather mimic table
in RDBMS which is temporal table which has below columns:

Col1
Col2
From_Date
To_Date
Created
Expired

Primary Key is : {Col1,From_Date,Expired}

Anyone has idea what is best Hbase design structure for such table?

Many Thanks!

Regards,
Subhash Pophale

Re: How to designTemporal table in Hbase

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
I don't think trying to 'mimic' an RDBS table in HBase is a very good idea.
They both are completely different from each other, both in design and
usage. For example, In order to get the latest value for a given column you
don't have to do anything extra. You just do a Get operation on the desired
rowkey, and by default HBase always gives you the latest value.

You could probably have a composite rowkey consisting of the fields you are
going to use most frequently during data retrieval. It's actually a bit
difficult to suggest something substantial without proper information on
your use case.

[image: http://]

Tariq, Mohammad
about.me/mti