Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com> on 2009/12/12 20:04:31 UTC

Question about data model Entity: DataResourceMetaData

Hello List:
Could someone explain why on the DataResourceMetaData entity, the
"metaDataValue" is a primary key? There isn't any guidance as far as I
can see in the Data Model Resource Books on this.

Here is why I ask:
Say I'm using this entity to store name/value pairs. If  the
metaDataValue is a primary key, then the name/value pair isn't unique
for a given DataResource. For example:

dataResourceId = 1
metaDataPredicateId = "author"
metaDataValue = "Ruth Hoffman"

and then I can have another record that says:

dataResourceId = 1
metaDataPredicateId  = "author"
metaDataValue = "Jane Doe"

Am I not using this correctly?

BTW, I know I can just change this on my local instance and use it
anyway I'd like, but I'm really curious to understand the reasoning
behind using this entity as is and/or to know if I should be using a
different entity to store name/value pairs such as this.

TIA
Ruth
Find me on the web at http://www.myofbiz.com or Google keyword "myofbiz"
ruth.hoffman@myofbiz.com