Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Richard Holt <ri...@btopenworld.com> on 2010/04/07 09:56:40 UTC

No Message Loss With Intermitent Services

Hi,

Our system is distributed where individual services may be offline for an
unknown period of time, during these periods the activemq server is required
to buffer and store the messages. It is not acceptable for us to slow down
producers as we purposefully keep these clients thin and they cannot handle
backlogs gracefully. Disk space is not really an issue so we are happy to
use this.

So my ideal solution is to use memory until close to the ceiling (allowing
enough for processing to still occur) and then page messages out to disk.
Also some of our queues get a lot more messages than others (and are less
important) so i am quite happy to page those out sooner than the business
messages (critical)

>From my research it appears a fileCursor within a destinationPolicy is the
way to go with a systemUsage section. However during my testing on 5.3 i can
generate OOM messages still. I am running the system below in Pure
Master/Slave configuration. I have attached the 2 configs i am using. I have
used a low memory activemq (32mb) on purpose to try and hit hard limits
quicker.

Any advice is appreciated. And please don't direct me to the
documentation...

Thanks In Advance

http://old.nabble.com/file/p28161669/activemq.xml activemq.xml
http://old.nabble.com/file/p28161669/activemq-slave.xml activemq-slave.xml