Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by hu...@iol.pt on 2004/06/25 13:20:46 UTC

HSQL upload and download

    Hi, users of cocoon.

   My name is Hugo Marcelino and i came across with the following problem. I'm developing a web application that can perform a documental managment. How i'm doing this ? I thougth use hsqldb that comes with the cocoon, and at the begining everthing was going ok. But now i have the following problem. I need to upload the content of a file, that can be any kind of file, into the database. The field in the database is binary and i discover that binary files only suport hexadecimal caracters and then i need to perform a download ( using http ) file from the database into the localdisk.

 Now, how do i trigger a download from the database into the localdisk ?

 And does anyone have any algorithm on how to transform the content of the file using xsp to insert into the database ?

Because i believe that something is wrong with mine. (i read the content of the file and transform into hexadecimal caracters)

               /* fiile reading and hexadecimal transformation*/
	String pathfile = "d:\\tempfile.doc";
	FileInputStream upload = new FileInputStream (pathfile);
	int len = upload.available();
	byte contentFile[] = new byte[len];
	upload.read(contentFile);
	StringBuffer hexFile = new StringBuffer();
	for (int i = 0; i < contentFile.length; i++) {
		temp = (int)contentFile[i];
		hexFile.append(Integer.toHexString(temp));
	}*/
	upload.close();
	String filename = pathfile.substring(pathfile.lastIndexOf(File.separatorChar)+1,pathfile.length());

thank you in advance .
Hugo Marcelino
25-06-2004

Re: HSQL upload and download

Posted by Tuomo L <tl...@cc.hut.fi>.
Hugo,

There's no need to use XSP script for this. Cocoon has a built-in upload
mechanism, that can be enabled from web.xml. For saving the uploads in a
db, you can use the modular DatabaseAddAction.

See: //wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ModularDatabaseActions
and http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ModularDatabaseActions

For download, there's a reader that reads binary from db and serializes it
for saving the file on local disk.

See: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/readers/database-reader.html

Hope this helps! :)

-Tuomo