Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2005/05/14 11:48:19 UTC

[users@httpd] APXS/Libtool confusion

Hey all...

I'm having some difficulty compiling a module with apxs -- I get a .o
file, and a .la and a .lo file -- but no shared object.

Apache 2.0.54 under FreeBSD 4.10.

I found something in README.platforms that gives me a hint, that the
current autoconf2.53 is somewhat broken under FreeBSD, and that I should
"use Autoconf 2.13 instead".

Now, this may not be my total problem, but here's my question, and I'd
really appreciate an answer as I've just spent several hours trying to
google this...

How do I "use" that alternate autoconf?

I try just running autoconf213 from the apache build dir and get:

configure.in:510: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling

I'm lost.  Anyone can clue me in?

-Dan

--

"What are you looking at?"

"My brain!"

-DM/SK, 2AM

>> I'm having some difficulty compiling a module with apxs -- I get a .o
>> file, and a .la and a .lo file -- but no shared object.
>
> Did you try "apxs -i mod_whatever.la" ?

Of course, I've been dealing with apxs under apache 1 for years -- before
we were depending on libtool and autoconf in obscure ways.

>> Apache 2.0.54 under FreeBSD 4.10.
>
> Can't help with platform issues - sorry.  But apxs works fine for me
> on FreeBSD versions I've used.

usr/local/apache2/build/instdso.sh
SH_LIBTOOL='/usr/local/apache2/build/libtool' mod_suphp.la
/usr/local/apache2/modules
/usr/local/apache2/build/libtool --mode=install cp mod_suphp.la
/usr/local/apache2/modules/
cp .libs/mod_suphp.lai /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.la
cp .libs/mod_suphp.a /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.a
ranlib /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.a
chmod 644 /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.a
Libraries have been installed in:
    /usr/local/apache2/modules

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
      during execution
    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
      during linking
    - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
Warning!  dlname not found in /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.la.
Assuming installing a .so rather than a libtool archive.
chmod 755 /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.so
chmod: /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_suphp.so: No such file or directory
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536

Re: [users@httpd] APXS/Libtool confusion

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.