Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/05/02 18:32:59 UTC

Re: PATCH: add note in build scripts that they work with Ant 1.3 but not with Ant 1.4

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:

> I spent an hour or so scratching my head trying to figure out why Struts
> builds ok with Ant 1.3, but with 1.4 fails to copy over struts.jar into the
> distributables. It is because the build scripts use the "available" task to
> check for the existence of directories, and whereas Ant 1.3 had one
> attribute, "file", that worked for both files and dirs, Ant 1.4 expects you
> to use "file" and "dir" respectively.
>
> The patches below simply make a note of the incompatibility...

I'm going to go ahead and apply these, but I've heard that the Ant crowd
is going to fix this by re-enabling backwards compatibility on the
available task.  Thanks to GUMP, we found out that they broke a *lot* of
build scripts when they made that change :-).

Personally, I'm going to stick with released versions of Ant -- I do
enough bleeding edge stuff already.

Craig

RE: PATCH: add note in build scripts that they work with Ant 1.3 but not with Ant 1.4

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Craig,
>
> I suggest you don't apply this patch for a few reasons:
> 1. We are going to fix it in Ant CVS so that it is backward compatible.
> 2. There is no such thing as Ant 1.4

That makes sense to me.  Thanks for being responsive on this.

> I'm sure your crowd will forgive our crowd for this temporary problem :-)

Well, I've caused a few problems like this (with both Struts and Tomcat),
so I can certainly be sympathetic :-).

> Conor

Craig

RE: PATCH: add note in build scripts that they work with Ant 1.3 but not with Ant 1.4

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Craig,