Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Wolle <wo...@dorf.RWTH-Aachen.DE> on 2001/04/28 15:10:08 UTC

heavy Traffic will rise Mem usage extremly

Hello,
i have testet some Servlets, and i'm prof that I give all the Readers
and Writes free, when a error occurs, so my Servlets are mostly memory
leak free.
So, when I  make a big traffic to my servlets, the memory usage of
Tomcat will rise extremly, and after that it won't give these memory
free.And so the Server will become slow.
Is that a error in Tomcat, or must I set some enviroment in the Tomcat
server.xml or so ?
I have build some extra Commands in the Serverlet to call System.gc() or
System.runFinalization(), but no changes will occurse.
I have read about the VM that in some VM it's normal that they give not
all the memory free.
W. Klum told me that you can explzit turn the JIT Compiler of , but how
could I do this ?
I have test it all with JDK1.3 , JDK1.3.02 (with CLIENT VM , and SERVER
VM),
 on Linux Suse 7.1 and Linux Mandrake 8.0 with Tomcat 3.2.2b2 with ajp12
and ajp13 Protocol over mod_jk, 98 MB RAM and Apache
1.3.17-10/mod_ssl2.7.1-0  and apache 1.3.19-3/mod_ssl 2.8.2-5.
Every time I get the same result.
The server will slow done with lot's of memory usage by Tomcat, the only
way to resolve it is to restart tomcat.
I have produce the high traffic with making a refresh very often.
Has someone the same error, or is it still only a error on my system ?

Please help me, it's urgent,
thank you for inconvenience,
Michael
                      mwollenhaupt@web.de

AW: heavy Traffic will rise Mem usage extremly

Posted by Wolle <wo...@dorf.RWTH-Aachen.DE>.
Hello,
i have changed to the new Tomcat3.2.2b3 Version, and it seems that the error
is gone ;-). Now i'll patch the version for session Tracking with mod_ssl,
and that's all i hope ;-))

Greetings, and a beautiful Sundy,
Michael

RE: heavy Traffic will rise Mem usage extremly

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
A couple of things to look at.  First, if your making lots of calls to a
servlet that creates a new session then you may be piling up tons of unused
sessions.  These will hang around until they expire (30  minutes, by
default).

Second, check the verbosity level for tc_log, servlet_log and jasper_log in
your server.xml file.  For production systems you'll probably want the
verbosity set to WARNING or ERROR.  At the default INFORMATION verbosity
you'll get lots of stuff going to the log files.  Tomcat doesn't write the
log messages to disk right away, it keeps them in memory and a lower
priority thread writes the messages to disk.  Thus, on a really busy server
generating lots of log messages you'll pile up log entries in memory waiting
to be written.