Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2005/01/12 00:34:28 UTC

logging-log4cxx

Would there be any objections to attempting to create a logging-log4cxx
descriptor?  The build might only assemble a source tar.gz, but if
there is a gcc on the box, we could use cpptasks to build log4cxx.  I
would not expect to put the compilation products (libraries, etc) in
the Gump output files.

Building log4cxx would require building Apache Portable Runtime,
testing would require building APR, CppUnit and boost::regex and I
don't think we want to take it that far, at least initially.

Re: logging-log4cxx

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> Would there be any objections to attempting to create a
> logging-log4cxx descriptor?

Not at all.

> The build might only assemble a source tar.gz, but if there is a gcc
> on the box, we could use cpptasks to build log4cxx.

gcc is there - and Gump supports <configure> and <make> by now, so you
may try that instead.

> Building log4cxx would require building Apache Portable Runtime,

Gets Gumped.  Take a look at the httpd descriptor to see how we build
httpd against the latest APR and APR-Util.

> testing would require building APR, CppUnit and boost::regex and I
> don't think we want to take it that far, at least initially.

Yell when you need help.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: logging-log4cxx

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Curt Arnold" <ca...@apache.org> wrote in message
> Would there be any objections to attempting to create a logging-log4cxx
> descriptor?  The build might only assemble a source tar.gz, but if there
> is a gcc on the box, we could use cpptasks to build log4cxx.  I would not
> expect to put the compilation products (libraries, etc) in the Gump output
> files.
>
> Building log4cxx would require building Apache Portable Runtime, testing
> would require building APR, CppUnit and boost::regex and I don't think we
> want to take it that far, at least initially.

Well, Gump is currently building APR
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/apr/apr-make-install/index.html ;-).  I
haven't looked at log4cxx, but other than having to set up the dependancies,
I don't see any reason not to have it making.

Re: logging-log4cxx

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 12-01-2005 00:34, "Curt Arnold" <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> Would there be any objections to attempting to create a logging-log4cxx
> descriptor?

Not at all! You'll probably be in for a "rough ride" since we're just
getting started on native code projects but I'm sure Stefan (who implemented
the <configure/> and <make/> bits IIRC) would love some feedback :-D.

We'll do what we can to help.

Cheers!

- Leo