Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Susan Richards <ri...@matc.edu> on 2007/08/01 02:27:27 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 configuration

In Tomcat 5.0.28, I had this in my server.xml:

<Host name="test-infonline.matc.edu" appBase="/www/apps/tomcat/webapps">
  <Context path="" docBase="."/>
</Host>

and in the webapps directory I had an index.html page that redirected to the servlet:

This probably wasn't the correct way, but it was the only way I could direct the dns to the application.
http://test-infonline.matc.edu

Now on Tomcat 5.5 this doesn't work.  It takes me straight to the tomcat default page.

I really want to have 3 domain names on one server and be able to type in all three urls and go to the correct web application.

What am I doing wrong?

RE: Tomcat 5.5 configuration

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Susan Richards [mailto:RichardS@matc.edu]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 configuration
>
> "Under each appBase directory, install the appropriate
> webapp as ROOT.war or in the ROOT directory

I guess that wasn't clear enough.  An expanded webapp (one not packaged
in a .war file) that you want as the default webapp must be installed AS
the ROOT directory under the corresponding <Host>'s appBase directory.
At no time may webapps be nested.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 configuration

Posted by Susan Richards <Ri...@matc.edu>.
Chuck said this:

"Under each appBase directory, install the
appropriate webapp as ROOT.war or in the ROOT directory (case sensitive
naming)."

I changed my server.xml to this:

<Host name="test-infonline.matc.edu"  appBase="/www/apps/tomcat/webapps/test-infonline">
</Host>
When I open the URL http://test-infoline.matc.edu, I still go right to the manager.  What am I doing wrong?

On 8/1/07, Susan Richards <Ri...@matc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks.  When I use the Tomcat Manager to deploy the war files, it puts them under webapps, not under ROOT.  Can I change this?

? No, that's where they're supposed to go.

Why would you want to change that?

Re: Tomcat 5.5 configuration

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 configuration

Posted by Susan Richards <Ri...@matc.edu>.
Thanks.  When I use the Tomcat Manager to deploy the war files, it puts them under webapps, not under ROOT.  Can I change this?

>>> "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> 7/31/2007 10:20 PM >>>
> From: Susan Richards [mailto:richards@matc.edu]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5 configuration
>
> In Tomcat 5.0.28, I had this in my server.xml:
> <Host name="test-infonline.matc.edu"
> appBase="/www/apps/tomcat/webapps">
>   <Context path="" docBase="."/>
> </Host>

The above - having docBase equal to appBase - was never intended to
work; that it ever did anything useful at all was an accident.  In
current versions of Tomcat, do not put <Context> elements in server.xml,
and do not use the path or docBase attributes, except in special
circumstances.

> I really want to have 3 domain names on one server and be
> able to type in all three urls and go to the correct web
> application.

If you mean that the three domain names each have a separate default
webapp, then you should set up three <Host> elements in server.xml, one
for each desired domain name.  Within each <Host> define a unique value
for its appBase directory.  Under each appBase directory, install the
appropriate webapp as ROOT.war or in the ROOT directory (case sensitive
naming).  No filter required.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 configuration

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.