Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tran Hung-Phu-r50825 <Hu...@freescale.com> on 2005/04/14 18:59:41 UTC

JULI and logging

For tomcat 5.5.9.  the default setting logs to both
Catalina.out and Catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log files

My question are:
1) how to channel all startup messages to one file?

2) how to disable JULI (on by default)?

thanks

Re: JULI and logging

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On 4/14/05, Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> What I did was change my common/classes/logging.properties file to the
> following. With this setup, everything goes into catalina.out. Note, I found
> that if JULI is enabled, it appears to ignore the
> java.util.logging.config.file property if you passed it in as a system
> property.

It does not ignore it, but virtually no logging will go to the root logger.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Re: JULI and logging

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
I haven't tried it yet, but, I noticed that catalina.sh/bat, looks for a jar
file named tomcat-juli.jar and if it's present, it adds a
"-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager" to
JAVA_OPTS. I think if you rename or remove that jar file, it will disable it
(haven't tried it, just a guess).

What I did was change my common/classes/logging.properties file to the
following. With this setup, everything goes into catalina.out. Note, I found
that if JULI is enabled, it appears to ignore the
java.util.logging.config.file property if you passed it in as a system
property.

handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = ALL

Jon