Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by "GRIMSHAW, Richard" <Ri...@london.sema.slb.com> on 2003/08/20 18:38:40 UTC

XML-RPC 2.0 release? + CommonsXmlRpcTransport questions

Hi,

	I'm in the process of integrating an XmlRpcClient into our own
"Connection Pool" type classes and was intending to use an Apache commons
HttpClient and a "modified" XmlRpcClient until I noticed the XML-RPC 2.0
library has introduced the concept of pluggable transports.

1) I notice that the XML-RPC class library has changed significantly for
2.0. Can you tell me when will 2.0 is likely to be released (I've donwloaded
the 2.0 a1 code from CVS).

2) I would like to pool XmlRpcConnection objects (which contain
XmlRpcClients) but as the URI for each request could be different I was
intending to use an Apache Commons HTTP client (which allows the URL to be
specified when constructing each PostMethod object and the HttpClient object
to be re-used.

I notice the XML-RPC 2.0 libarary now uses the commons-http client but there
is no setUrl type method on the new CommonsXmlRpctransport class.

Is a setUrl method this likely to be introduced?

3) Is the CommonsXmlRpcTransportFactory class missing - or am I
misunderstanding something?

Thanks

Richard

Richard Grimshaw
PPAS Principal Engineer
Schlumberger

Re: XML-RPC 2.0 release? + CommonsXmlRpcTransport questions

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hello,

I am under the impression that most of the other committers would like
to see a stable 1.2 release before we go into the beta cycle for 2.0.
Therefore I envision probably 6-8 months (judging from the previous
release cycles).  That is, unless an interested party gets in here and
shakes things up.  I have been focusing what time I have for the project
on 2.0 architecture, and not on 1.2.

Also, I am the author of the CommonsXmlRpcClient.  There are two
constructors, both which take a URL parameter.  It was intended to be
used such that a single instance is permanently bound to a single
XML-RPC endpoint, rather than reused.  I am open to changing that, but I
respond more quickly to patches with justification than suggestions :)

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks