Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/06/03 01:37:45 UTC

Re: Difficulty with content negotiation Apache2

Bernard Higonnet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have made content negotiation work fine with Apache 1.3 but have not yet
> succeeded with Apache 2. Server-info confirms that content negotiation is
> turned on, and it certainly works because it has generated negotiated error
> messages. But content negotiation for error messages uses *.var, while I want
> to use MUltiViews...
>
> I strongly suspect my mistake is trivial, but I can't find it.

Ahh, but how are we to help you if you don't provide any details?  What
does your configuration look like?  What about it is not working?  In
terms of the differences between the two versions, you should look at
the MultiViewsMatch and ForceLanguagePriority directives, which are new
in 2.0.

Joshua.

Re: Entries in access log ?

Posted by Anders Jarnberg <li...@bredband.net>.
On Monday 03 June 2002 18.30, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> You can safely ignore them as described in the FAQ:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#codered
>
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 06:32:42PM +0200, Anders Jarnberg wrote:
> > Newbie question, but I didn't find anything in the FAQ...
> >
> > I get the following lines in my access log (nonwrapped samples):
> > ---
> > 212.242.117.99 - - [29/May/2002:00:33:16 +0200] "GET http://www.sina.com/
> > HTTP/1.1" 200 266 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)"
> > 217.228.203.68 - - [29/May/2002:07:25:54 +0200] "GET http://www.ebay.com/
> > HTTP/1.1" 200 266 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)"
> > 130.34.83.83 - - [29/May/2002:09:21:28 +0200] "GET
> > /scripts/..%255c%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir" 404 747 "-" "-"
> > ---
> >
> > Why would a request to my Apache 2.0.36 for www.ebay.com generate a 200
> > in response ? Isn't 200 "success" return code ? Is somebody using my
> > Apache for proxy ?

Yes, I understand, but I cannot find an explanation for the ebay.com reference
and return code 200 in that URL ?  They do not seem to be coming from the same
place or the same timestamp...  I know about code red and nimda, and get a lot of that
traffic, but I thought this was different ?

--
Anders Jarnberg in
Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Entries in access log ?

Posted by Jack Nerad <jn...@cimedia.com>.
On Monday 03 June 2002 12:30, you wrote:
> You can safely ignore them as described in the FAQ:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#codered
>
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 06:32:42PM +0200, Anders Jarnberg wrote:
> > Newbie question, but I didn't find anything in the FAQ...
> >
> > I get the following lines in my access log (nonwrapped samples):
> > ---
> > 212.242.117.99 - - [29/May/2002:00:33:16 +0200] "GET
> > http://www.sina.com/ HTTP/1.1" 200 266 "-" "Mozilla/4.0
> > (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)" 217.228.203.68 - -
> > [29/May/2002:07:25:54 +0200] "GET http://www.ebay.com/ HTTP/1.1"
> > 200 266 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)"
> > 130.34.83.83 - - [29/May/2002:09:21:28 +0200] "GET
> > /scripts/..%255c%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir" 404 747 "-"
> > "-" ---
> >
> > Why would a request to my Apache 2.0.36 for www.ebay.com generate a
> > 200 in response ? Isn't 200 "success" return code ? Is somebody
> > using my Apache for proxy ?
> >
> > As you can see, I'm all new at this :-)
> >
> > Thank in advance for any hints/links...
> >

> > --
> > Anders Jarnberg in
> > Stockholm, Sweden
> > running SuSe 8.0

http://httpd.apache.org/mail/users/200201.gz

Search for digging4roots.com in the page text.
also search for Proxy (was Re: Interpreting Log Information:

Joshua Slive already answered this question back in January, 2002.

--
Jack Nerad

Re: Entries in access log ?

Posted by Anders Jarnberg <li...@bredband.net>.
On Monday 03 June 2002 19.26, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Daniel Lopez wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks to Daniel, Jack & Joshua. It was indeed
the same issue, and 266 is the current size of my homepage.

I'll try to search the mailing list archive next time.

--
Anders Jarnberg in
Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Entries in access log ?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> Yes, it is possible somebdy is using your apache server as a proxy.
> Check to see if you have mod_proxy enabled in your configuraiton file
> (loaded or compiled in and ProxyREquests on)
> The easiest way to check it out is to connect yourself, using telnet
> issue that request, and see if you get Ebay pages in return

Yes.  As someone else pointed out, this question gets asked and answered
about once a month.  Even easier than the telnet technique is to check the
file-size returned in the request (266 bytes in this case).  If that is
the file size of your home page, then you are most likely safe.

This probably deserves a FAQ entry.  Anyone care to write one up?

Joshua.

Re: Entries in access log ?

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Oops, didn't read the question, just read the last line and thought it was
another code red question :)

Re: Entries in access log ?

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

Entries in access log ?

Posted by Bernard Higonnet <hi...@theworld.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
.
snip
.

> To the best of my knowledge, that documentation is correct.  The setting
> of MultiViewsMatch should only matter if you have not properly associated
> one of the file extenstions.  In other words, you need to have
> AddLanguage en en
> AddLanguage fr fr
> AddType text/html html (or similar entry in mime.types)
>
> MultiViewsMatch only comes into play if you try to negotiate based on an
> extension that is not mapped to anything.  If that is not what you are
> seeing, please present us with the simplest possible case that shows the
> problem; use LIVE URLs so that we can check ourselves.

Well, you are of course quite right, and I apologize for the trouble caused and misinformation sent
to this list. I took out MultiViewsMatch and added the appropriate AddType (present in the 1.3
server that worked OK) and it works fine.

Perhaps this shows there are many ways to skin a cat and that if Apache is a robust server there's a
reason...

Thanks again,
BT Higonnet

Re: Difficulty with content negotiation Apache2

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Bernard Higonnet wrote:
> I would beg all readers to believe that I am NOT incriminating Apache
> documentation and blaming it for what was my mistake only, but I think
> the passage called
>
> "Note on hyperlinks and naming conventions" on page
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html
>
> (which appears to me left over from 1.3) might mention that the behavior
> described there requires "MultiViewsMatch Any" (as regards files called
> abcd.en.html or abcd.fr.html anyway). Of course there's a good chance I
> got this wrong too!

To the best of my knowledge, that documentation is correct.  The setting
of MultiViewsMatch should only matter if you have not properly associated
one of the file extenstions.  In other words, you need to have
AddLanguage en en
AddLanguage fr fr
AddType text/html html (or similar entry in mime.types)

MultiViewsMatch only comes into play if you try to negotiate based on an
extension that is not mapped to anything.  If that is not what you are
seeing, please present us with the simplest possible case that shows the
problem; use LIVE URLs so that we can check ourselves.

Thanks.

Joshua.

Re: Difficulty with content negotiation Apache2

Posted by Bernard Higonnet <hi...@theworld.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Bernard Higonnet wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have made content negotiation work fine with Apache 1.3 but have not
>> yet succeeded with Apache 2. Server-info confirms that content
>> negotiation is turned on, and it certainly works because it has
>> generated negotiated error messages. But content negotiation for error
>> messages uses *.var, while I want to use MUltiViews...
>>
>> I strongly suspect my mistake is trivial, but I can't find it.
>

> Ahh, but how are we to help you if you don't provide any details?  What
> does your configuration look like?  What about it is not working?  In
> terms of the differences between the two versions, you should look at
> the MultiViewsMatch and ForceLanguagePriority directives, which are new
> in 2.0.

I was loath to either include the entire configuration file for reasons of size, or exerpt it for fear of giving an improper impression by not including something in the file.

My problem was that I looked, but not closely enough, at MultiViewsMatch which I mistakenly thought was needed to do fancy things not previously possible. Including "MultiViewsMatch Any" made the server behave as I expected.

I would beg all readers to believe that I am NOT incriminating Apache documentation and blaming it for what was my mistake only, but I think the passage called

"Note on hyperlinks and naming conventions" on page

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html

(which appears to me left over from 1.3) might mention that the behavior described there requires "MultiViewsMatch Any" (as regards files called abcd.en.html or abcd.fr.html anyway). Of course there's a good chance I got this wrong too!

Many Thanks for the replies
BT Higonnet