Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/03 07:28:35 UTC

Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

I was trying to test
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg but I couldn't, it
keeps crashing.

Best,

Roberto

Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

Posted by mabdul <ma...@eclipso.de>.
Hi *,

On 03.10.2017 17:34, Marcus wrote:
> Am 03.10.2017 um 17:20 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> I am sure anyone else having similar problems would have reported
>> them. I don't have a Mac, so I can't do any tests myself.
just downloaded the German version, works without any problems with
macOS Sierra (10.12.6) on my MacBook Pro (mid 204)

mabdul

Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03.10.2017 um 17:20 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> I am sure anyone else having similar problems would have reported them.
> I don't have a Mac, so I can't do any tests myself.
>
> Could you sumcheck or check keys? That would tell if there were
> corruption during the upload.

I've done a quick check with the Mac install files from [1] for en-US,
en-GB and de and its SHA256 hash. All fine.

> Also, maybe download a different language, such as en-GB instead of
> en-US, to see if it is that one file or all builds.
>
> Meanwhile, it would be useful if everyone with a Mac would download and
> test Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg. Is it that
> one machine? All Macs running that OS version? All Macs?

Unfortunatelly, I've also no Mac available for testing.

@Jim:
Are you able to do a quick check with the install files on [1]?

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.4-RC4/

Thanks in advance.

Marcus

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Works for me. FWIW, I tested on 3 other Macs, none of which were the
build server.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 10/4/2017 3:03 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> I've just tried this on another Mac, with the very same operating system,
> and it works.
> I need to wait until later today to retry on the other machine, let's say
> in 6 hours from now.

Given this, and the other reports of it working on Macs, I suggest going
ahead with closing the vote 72 hours after it started and proceeding
with the release.

Meanwhile, perhaps those with Mac skills can work with Roberto Galoppini
to try to understand the failure, with a view to discussing it in the
release notes.

Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
Il 04 Ott 2017 00:49, "Andrea Pescetti" <pe...@apache.org> ha scritto:

On 03/10/2017 Roberto Galoppini wrote:

>> What do you have in /Users/<youruser>/Library/Application
>> Support/OpenOffice/4/user?
>>
> Nothing, I've simulated a fresh new start.

I see that you had 4.1.3 installed and it was working correctly. You
renamed the user profile (to simulate a fresh installation) and installed
4.1.4.

How far do you get when you start OpenOffice? For example:
- Does the new profile folder get created or OpenOffice dies before
creating it?

It does that.

- Can you see, even for a fraction of a second, the OpenOffice splash
screen?

No way.

Probably it would be best if you can start OpenOffice from a terminal (look
for an executable called "soffice"). It should output something to the
terminal before dying and that will probably give some clues to understand
what the problem is due to and how common we can expect it to be.

I've just tried this on another Mac, with the very same operating system,
and it works.
I need to wait until later today to retry on the other machine, let's say
in 6 hours from now.

Best,

Roberto

As I wrote in the vote thread: it might be that this bug is not so common
to be considered a blocker, but if it is not due to your particular
configuration then we should mention it in the Release Notes once it is
clarified/explained.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
If I remember it correctly, the last time we had problems with AOO and
macOS (Sierra) it had something to do with the graphics card.
Maybe there is a difference between Robertos mac and all the others?

@Roberto:
Just to make sure that it is not the splash screen causing trouble, can
you delete (move away) "intro.png" from the (OpenOffice) program folder?
AOO then normally starts without splash screen.

Regards, Matthias

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Roberto,

> On Oct 3, 2017, at 12:25 PM, Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi -
>>
>> On System Preferences / Security & Preferences what is your Allow apps
>> downloaded set to? It should be App Store and identified developers.
>>

> Correct.
>

>> If you go into Terminal what are your permissions on /Users/<your
>> user>/Library/Application Support/.?
>>

> drwxr-xr-x

I have the following permissions:

drwxr-xr-x   3 davewave  staff   102 Oct  3 12:45 OpenOffice
drwx------+ 32 davewave  staff  1088 Oct  3 12:45 .
Daves-MacBook-Pro:Application Support davewave$

Not sure what’s up.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Would it be useful to try to download and install 4.1.3, using the same
process? If that also fails, it has to be a configuration problem. If it
succeeds, there is something different about the 4.1.4 file in question.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

On System Preferences / Security & Preferences what is your Allow apps downloaded set to? It should be App Store and identified developers.

If you go into Terminal what are your permissions on /Users/<your user>/Library/Application Support/.?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.
>I've re-downloaded again, it does not work. Does anyone else have tried
>that? I'm really the only one facing problem with this build?

A french volunteer does not reproduce this.
AOO 4.1.4 and MacBook Pro SSD OS X 10.12.6 Sierra / RAM 8Go / Java 1.8.0_144
He tried with french and US version

Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2017-10-03, 9:20 AM Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> Meanwhile, it would be useful if everyone with a Mac would download and test
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg. Is it that one machine? All Macs
> running that OS version? All Macs?

I have been using Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-GB.dmg. I've only used Writer
and had no problems.

Just downloaded and installed Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg.
No problem installing it. Brief test using Writer was okay.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4-RC4 crashes on Mac

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
Double-clicking.