Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by John <jb...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/29 14:21:55 UTC

Introduction to Profiling Java Applications in NetBeans IDE

Hi,

I have completed my Java 17 project in NetBeans and now interested in the
profiling built into NetBeans for the first time. Having come from an old
development environment where these tools didn’t exist, I am looking forward
to analysing the results.

In order to learn about this new technique (to me), I located the following
Apache NetBeans article.

<https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/profiler-intro.html>

I have already upgraded my NetBeans to the latest 12.6 version as titled in
the header of the article and am using the latest version of the JDK (17).

However, I am confused as I can’t locate the ‘Anagram Game’ in the list of
Samples that ship with NetBeans (screenshot below).

![](cid:image003.png@01D8151B.916BA1C0)

I checked the Github link that is included in the article and that shows that
the latest commit to the article was on Feb 2, 2020 and so looks to be up to
date and relevant.

Anyway, I continued with my own project rather than the one detailed in the
documentation and then came to another halt at

### Using the Profiler for the First Time

  1. Choose  **Advanced Commands**  >  **Manage Calibration Data**  from the Profile menu.

As I don’t appear to have an option for that on my Profile menu. That looks
like below on my version of NetBeans.

![](cid:image006.png@01D8151B.916BA1C0)

So I think that I am missing something obvious here as the tutorial seems to
be referring to items that I can’t locate.

Do I need to install a plugin?

I was also a little concerned that the documentation focused on JDK 7 (1.7)
which stopped being supported in April 2015.

I am happy to update the screenshots and menu-paths etc to relate to the
latest version of NetBeans / Java, but before tampering with the article, I
should really understand what I am doing and the target audience the article
is intended for.

As a rule, I really appreciate these work-through guides as it normally gives
me an excellent foundation from which to explore from and convinces me that
the functionality works as intended before I try it on my own project. That
way, I know any issues are down to me and not the way that the software has
been configured, as in the classic ‘Hello World’ principle.

If anyone can help me fill in the gaps detailed above, that would be
appreciated and allow me to continue exploring the article.

Thanks

John

Re: Introduction to Profiling Java Applications in NetBeans IDE

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

I could find the Anagram Sample in the Samples -> Java with Ant category.

The profiler will automatically calibrate on first run. The UI/UX
changed a bit. You press profile to open the profiler tab and then press
profile again in the tab to actually profile the project. The drop down
lets you select the various modes.

hope this helps,

-mbien