Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> on 2007/04/03 16:17:36 UTC

Re: ****SPAM(7.8)**** Re: Discuss initial list, was Re: [vote] Request Graduation to a TLP

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> We have people, such as yourself, who have been very active on this
>> project.  In fact you are one of the people who comes to my mind when I
>> think about folks who have been very active in being a part of this
>> project.  In my opinion I think you are a person who deserves to be a
>> part of this, as I believe anyone who has been active should be.  It is
>> my belief that there should be no line between a PMC and the committers
>> list, and especially in this case where the project is brand new.  IMHO,
>> this community has been pretty healthy, and starting off with a cherry
>> picked elite group is not the way to kick off strong community.
>
> I understand your points above but there was ample time to discuss this
> topic in Brett's original post (March 21st) about graduation and David's
> original stab at the resolution (March 28th).  The time for this
> discussion was on that thread.

I was unaware that there are time limits on threads...I don't recall
seeing one attached to that, and I certainly do not see any rule sets
regarding that.  I find your comment here unnecessary.

> I know that I have not been actively
> following OpenEJB lately as I tend to be interested in doing performance
> work and not building the container.  My last commits were sometime last
> year I think.

I guess that excludes you ;-)

> Perhaps another approach would have been to solicit the community on who
> wants to be responsible for the project and then we wouldn't have
> started with a pre-defined list.  I expect David's intent was not to be
> elitist but simply kick start the discussion.  (Although, David is best
> equipped to comment on his thinking so speculating is probably not
> profitable).

+1...and I would probably predict that a majority would step up and want
to continue to be a part of this.

> Regardless, The project has been working really well and has gotten a
> lot of really good work done.  Communicated and worked together well.
>
> I believe that the community will work out these issues as it moves
> forward and that there was no malice intended and this is perhaps more
> of a procedural boo boo.

I am certain no malice was intended.  But I think this is a bit more
than a procedural boo-boo.  It doesn't take a rocket science to see
there will be hurt feelings.  My vote stands. I will be the dissenting vote.

Re: Discuss initial list, was Re: [vote] Request Graduation to a TLP

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
That sounds fine to me.  At least for my part, the PPMC has been
essentially invisible, so I didn't even realize the project had one.
Not being aware of that led me to wonder about the criteria used to pick
the initial list of project members.  Now I know, and I'm fine with the
selections.

I really sort of agree with you about the role of the PMC.  My
experience with them so far is that most of the work involves two
tasks:  1)  deciding who should become committers, and 2)  deciding who
should join the PMC.  1) can easily be done by the community in general,
while 2) would become unnecessary without the PMC.  I'm sometimes a
little uncomfortable about the "binding vote" concept, but I think in
general if there's enough dispute that the non-binding votes would make
a difference, then there's a larger problem that needs to be solved.

Rick

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
It may be true that the (P)PMC can staff the (P)PMC and the project
itself at will.  But you would think the time of graduation was a time
for more transparency, not less.  For my part, I'd be interested to
see someone post a list of committers, a list of proposed PMC members,
and some indication of why those in the latter list were selected.
But of course, I'm not claiming I'm entitled to receive this.  :)

Thanks,
      Aaron

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 4, 2007, at 11:57 AM, jgenender wrote:

> Yes this helps...thanks for responding.  Nobody knew there was a
> PPMC beyond
> the original 3 mentors.  Now this clears it all up.

Great.

In fairness to our Mentors, Brett did post that list of PPMC info
before he posted the vote and this thread, but point still understood
(should have been trickled to the list real-time).

-David

Posted by jgenender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

David Blevins wrote:
> Thanks for your +0, I think that is a really constructive way to say
> "let's pause and talk."  A good example to set.

No thanks for my -1???  Come on!!

:-D

Jeff

Re: Discuss initial list, was Re: [vote] Request Graduation to a TLP

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 4, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  I think the lesson learned is the (P)
> PMC needs to be more transparent which I expect was an oversight
> because things were working so well  :-)

A little too good it seems :)  Very happy we got this out there and
cleared up.

> I have to say that the discussion on the topic has been really good
> and shows some good community dynamics.  I think the progress made
> on OpenEJB3 has been spectacular (hats off to those on the commit
> log) and I know there's been a lot of grinding on EJB2 regarding
> the new Yoko work; net is that I think things are really going well.
>
> Based on the issues raised and clarified by Jacek and Genender I
> think things are in good shape and would give OpenEJB a solid +1
> (even more so now than before) for graduation.
>
> To make sure things are clear I'd suggest close the old vote and
> respin a new one (with fewer comments :-)

I think that sounds good.  I'll divert to Brett who started the
original vote thread and let him have the honors.  We may want to let
it bake overnight just to make sure everyone across the international
dateline has a chance to get some final words in.

> Thanks for shepherding this through.

Thanks for your +0, I think that is a really constructive way to say
"let's pause and talk."  A good example to set.

Very best regards,

David

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by jgenender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi All...

I think that this subject has taken a lot of discussion, as long as we are
all represent one team and no one has a higher voice than the other whether
he\she is a committer, not committer , PMC or not PMC member - which is the
same thing David said some where in this loooooooooong thread - . What I
really care about is not all these things, what I really care about is the
team, all people who contribute to this community regardless their *role
definition* are members of this great team, I hope we don't loose our spirit
for some *boo boo* - I like this name :D - and don't loose the effort we all
have done and concentrate on  the effort we all have to do to make this team
better and better to be the best among all other teams. I know that this is
not a so official statement regarding the procedures and so, but I felt that
I like to deliver it to the list and to the team which I am so proud to be a
member of.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Discuss initial list, was Re: [vote] Request Graduation to a TLP

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
David Blevins wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

>>> The PPMC starts with members of the Incubator PMC (in our case our
>>> Mentors Jason, Brett, and Henri).  Then people were added over time.
>>
>> If I understand David correctly, he saying that the current PPMC
>> members are the proposed OpenEJB PMC members. It may not be an
>> official incubator "policy", however, this seems like a reasonable
>> way of seeding the PMC for an incubating project.
>
> Corrrect.  And the key word is "inital" PMC Members.
>
>> The root of the problem being raised in the current discussion, seems
>> to be that the PPMC membership was not well-advertised to the
>> community. IIUC the PPMC started with the initial mentors and that
>> members were added over time. However, I cannot find any
>> notifications to this list that indicate that such changes were being
>> made.
>
> I concur that this seems to be the real mistake.  There also was
> (maybe even still) some confusion about the list of names in the
> proposal.  It's the PMC list not the committer list, all committers
> will still be committers at graduation.  (restating that as I got an
> email today asking why they were no longer on the project, so this
> confusion still seems to be out there).
I suspect at least part of the confusion was the use of the term
"Project Members" in the proposal.  I had the same gut reaction when I
read that until I finally made the mental connection that "Project
Members" == "PMC members".

Rick

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Da

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Looks good to me ;-)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Excellent note, Jeff.

I think you're spot on and have apologize for my part of the
silence.  There was no mal intent there and in retrospect it was a
really unfortunate mistake to have made.  For my part of that I can
say that I saw us doing so well keeping the weight of the community
on the dev list and did see the need/benefit of drawing attention and
focus onto the PMC.  Clearly we went too far in the other direction.
Lesson learned.

As for silence on the thread itself, I have to apologize if the right
information and responses were not coming fast enough in the thread.
It's no secret I have a lot of weight on the project, I am perhaps
overly aware of it.  It's very hard to balance having a voice of my
own and not dominating the conversation in the process.  I think
discussions like these though, do a great deal in helping/keeping the
project in balance.

We all have something to improve, we're all learning and I agree,
this is how we will make our project even better.

-David

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Jeff,

Posted by jgenender <jg...@apache.org>.
David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 3, 2007, at 6:19 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> It might make sense to have the community choose its PMC and for
>> them to offer to help rather than having one person define the
>> list.  I'm not sure of the precedent in incubator for this.  In
>> the other thread Jacek had specifically requested two people be
>> added and that request was missed somehow.  That is what really
>> caused me to move to a +0 but that was probably more my ignorance
>> in how incubator does these things.
>
> The PPMC starts with members of the Incubator PMC (in our case our
> Mentors Jason, Brett, and Henri).  Then people were added over time.

If I understand David correctly, he saying that the current PPMC
members are the proposed OpenEJB PMC members. It may not be an
official incubator "policy", however, this seems like a reasonable
way of seeding the PMC for an incubating project.

The root of the problem being raised in the current discussion, seems
to be that the PPMC membership was not well-advertised to the
community. IIUC the PPMC started with the initial mentors and that
members were added over time. However, I cannot find any
notifications to this list that indicate that such changes were being
made.

I'd suggest that this situation be remedied by discussing the current
PPMC membership -- let the community know when each member was added
to the PPMC. This information can then be used in discussing the
proposed PMC membership...

> Doing the PMC == commit thing is interesting, but no Apache project
> has ever done that and don't really know that'd I'd want to be the
> first, especially as we've done so well at keeping the dev list as
> our "center of gravity".

I tend to agree. I think there is additional PMC education that needs
to occur. There are additional things that need to be learned for
project oversight. Best to keep the two things separate... However,
this does not mean that the PMC should be secret...

--kevan

Re: Discuss initial list, was Re: [vote] Request Graduation to a TLP

Posted by jgenender <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Jacek,

Thanks for answering, but unfortunately, the PPMC that was bootstrapped was
Henri, Jason, and Brett.  So there is a delta between that PPMC and the
current list.  I saw no emails going out that stated that the new list of
attendees have been voted in.  The only discussion I saw was people asking
what they thought about David Blevins becoming our Chair, then he appeared
to hand pick a PMC.  If this is the way it went, then this is not community
driven at all.

I think David should have asked everyone who is interested in being on the
PMC, and given everyone a fair chance.  AFAICT, everyone has been dedicated

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by jgenender <jg...@apache.org>.
David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Alrighty, something was not jiving with me and so I went back through
> the archives and for some reason a few of the e-mail in the thread never
> made it to me.  It looks like, based on Brett's response in the discuss
> thread that the normal incubator policy is to go forward with the
> existing PPMC.  So, for my part I'm cool and will upgrade my vote to a
> +1.  Thanks for the clarification.

Ok...so now I am confused.  From what I read, I see that as well.  But
IIUC, the PPMC has somewhat disbanded less a "vote" on new
members...again...am I missing something?

> Heh, I like the idea of PMC == committers as a goal as it really does
> make no distinction and everyone owns the project.

+1000

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Apr 3, 2007, at 7:47 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2007, at 6:19 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>>
>>> It might make sense to have the community choose its PMC and for
>>> them to offer to help rather than having one person define the
>>> list.  I'm not sure of the precedent in incubator for this.  In
>>> the other thread Jacek had specifically requested two people be
>>> added and that request was missed somehow.  That is what really
>>> caused me to move to a +0 but that was probably more my ignorance
>>> in how incubator does these things.
>>
>> The PPMC starts with members of the Incubator PMC (in our case our
>> Mentors Jason, Brett, and Henri).  Then people were added over time.
>>
>> Doing the PMC == commit thing is interesting, but no Apache
>> project has ever done that and don't really know that'd I'd want
>> to be the first, especially as we've done so well at keeping the
>> dev list as our "center of gravity".
>
> Alrighty, something was not jiving with me and so I went back
> through the archives and for some reason a few of the e-mail in the
> thread never made it to me.  It looks like, based on Brett's
> response in the discuss thread that the normal incubator policy is
> to go forward with the existing PPMC.  So, for my part I'm cool and
> will upgrade my vote to a +1.  Thanks for the clarification.

I spent quite a bit of time re-reading e-mails last night and finally
posted a question to general to get a clarification on the PMC
formation and it seems there really is no hard and fast rule.  Its up
to the project.  Re-reading Brett's e-mail he was merely pointiing
out that the list was about the status of the group and that the
proposed list was for the PMC and that committers retain their
status.  It was not a policy statement.  As such, given the amount of
discussion in the community and requests to expand the PMC I think
that this issue should be addressed before we graduate as it
certainly shows the community working together to come to an
agreeable outcome.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

On Apr 3, 2007, at 4:34 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> If Apache were to pass a by-law saying PMCs are no longer required,
> I'd be the first person to resign from it.  However we have to have
> a PMC for legal oversight reasons and will continue to add people
> to it, but I personally really hope it never becomes the "core" of
> our community.  I hope that the core always remains right here on
> the dev list where everyone, committer or not, can participate.

Perhaps your advocating PMC == commit which works too.  (if people
are willing to exercise oversight)

> We have done an excellent job in this community at making sure we
> all feel like we make a difference here, that someone without
> commit privileges has just as much voice as someone with commit.
> Several people, committers and otherwise have stood up and said
> so.  I think it would be a terrible tragedy to start defining the
> word community as those on the PMC and to say anyone not on the PMC
> are being ostracize and not part of the community.

I think what caught people off guard was the proposed list.  It setup
an artificial barrier I think; not your intent I'm sure.

> I'm personally happy with the progress we've made for ourselves and
> am fine adding more people to it over time.

Yup, the community has done a bang up job.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

You have not responded, could you please answer my questions I asked?

Also, per your previous email in this thread to Jacek, all is not well
from my perspective and I am sticking to my -1 until we get resolution.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Re: Re: Discuss initial list, was Re: [vote] Request Graduation to a TLP