Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 1999/08/02 07:22:22 UTC

server/config discussion - using servlet rather than .xml file

The idea here is that the config data not necessarily be held in a data
file, but could be retrieved using a 'bootstrap' servlet.

The end result being the same: there is config data available.

The advantage of doing it this way:
        * The servlet can go look up data from whereever it wants. i.e.
config info can be stored in a db/properties file/ldap rather than being
hard coded
        * A servlet has a lifecycle. This brings lifecycles to the
server/webapp. You can now write code that executes on startup/shutdown.
        * What does 'service' mean for this servlet: a way of dynamically
changing config info, by passing a request to the servlet.

As for overlap....with web apps, yes....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

----- Forwarded by dIon Gillard/Multitask Consulting/AU on 02/08/99 12:18
PM -----

cool. can you expand on this a bit more? i must admit that my
mind is presently focussed more at the "webserver.xml" (server
config) level vs the webApp(s) web.xml level but it is none the
less important.

how do you see this unfolding (web.xml and/or webserver.xml)?

do you see some functional overlap?

btw, i am working with my j2ee/ri colleagues and with tomcat
it is trivial to add a new context (webApp) at anytime. i'm
going to consider copying the tomcat "shutdown" code (which
is really just an rmi hook to the running http server) to
proto in a "readNewContext" type method. in short, adding new
contexts to a running tomcat is trivial ... now to flesh out
the api's to allow for more options.

- james

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Just to throw in my $0.02 worth at this point re: web.xml. I'd like to
see
> this file optionally be obtained by running a WebApp servlet, hence
> defining scope for a WebApp.
>
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
> Play:        http://www.trongus.com
>
> ----- Forwarded by dIon Gillard/Multitask Consulting/AU on 24/07/99
12:09
> AM -----
> "the web.xml is the xml
> which is context specific. if your familiar with the jswdk
> WEB-INF/*properties today ... those will go away and be replaced
> with a WEB-INF/web.xml.
>
> this thread here is, in my mind, focused around server config
> (webserver.xml) but it should be aware of component configurations
> (web.xml) as an item on the radar but not perhaps in the center
> of the screen at the moment."

Previous Document

Next Document
Return to View