Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Michael Remijan <mj...@live.com> on 2018/10/03 12:33:27 UTC

Backup safe to call multiple times?

If I am doing a database backup with the following system utility call:

CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE('$BAK_DIR');

I want to know if this is safe to call multiple times; in other words performing multiple backups into the same directory?

When you call backup multiple times, will Derby cleanup any unused or out-date-file or can I end up with a stale file and/or directory in the backup directory that isn't used anymore?

Thanks!

Re: Backup safe to call multiple times?

Posted by "peter.ondruska@kaibo.eu" <pe...@kaibo.eu>.
The documentation states that backup directory is assumed to contain older version and is overwritten. However it does not mention what happens if previous backup did not complete which may be worst case scenario. I would recommend against running backup to same location unless you make want usable backup for recovery.

--
kaibo, s.r.o., ID 28435036, registered with the commercial register
administered by the Municipal Court in Prague, section C, file 141269.

Registered office and postal address: kaibo, s.r.o., Kališnická 379/10,
Prague 3, 130 00, Czech Republic.
https://www.kaibo.eu
<https://www.kaibo.eu>