Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Shi Yusen <sh...@langhua.cn> on 2008/11/15 21:09:17 UTC

Re: My Notes From OFBiz Symposium at ApacheCon US 2008 - Main Theme: Organizing Ourselves

+1.

The reason is simple: nobody takes the role of project manager in OFBiz.

When Redhat aquired JBoss, I found almost every project had a new
project manager who really helped the projects released more and more
predictable.

At the beginning as TLP, Jacopo Cappellato looked like preparing the
release version. And when he joined HotwaxMedia, he's missing I guess.

Someone in the PMC should stand out. Jacques Le Roux or Scott Gray?

PMC, programmers meeting committee? If so, it's a quite pitty for an ERP
platform. :)

Kind Regards,

Shi Yusen/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

在 2008-11-15六的 13:46 -0500,Joe Eckard写道:

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Having a roadmap could simply mean having something like this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=12310110&subset=-1
or
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10600&subset=-1
or
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10220&subset=3
or
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10560&subset=-1

If it is for sure true that OFBiz grows up thanks to contribution that
developers do because they need them with their customers, it is also true
that many efforts have been done, and will be, to have OFBiz more generic,
with a more reusability factor, with a better UI etc.

Those generally are not things requested by a developer's customer but are
things that OFBiz still needs to have something to base a marketing campain
on.

A clear and solid release number is something really needed.
How could we ever write on the site news "Released OFBiz x.y (see release
notes)" otherwise?
The release numbering, IMO, is at the top of the list in the marketing aware
factors.

-Bruno

Posted by Shi Yusen <sh...@langhua.cn>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Sat, 11/15/08, David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
> Personally I know I've left a wake of unfinished
> projects where I tried to recruit others and identify a goal
> to work towards, like the framework improvements and
> framework-only release (a starting point for higher level
> releases, something easier). As soon as I got involved in
> increased workload, moving, and organizing and preparing for
> ApacheCon and such I stopped working on it... and so did
> everyone else!

I still want to help out with that, btw. Like you, I got busy with other things. I have some framework release related Jira issues out there that I still intend to work on.

-Adrian

Re: My Notes From OFBiz Symposium at ApacheCon US 2008 - Main Theme: Organizing Ourselves

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Nov 15, 2008, at 4:27 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Shi Yusen wrote:
>
>> +1.
>>
>> The reason is simple: nobody takes the role of project manager in
>> OFBiz.
>>
>> When Redhat aquired JBoss, I found almost every project had a new
>> project manager who really helped the projects released more and more
>> predictable.
>>
>> At the beginning as TLP, Jacopo Cappellato looked like preparing the
>> release version. And when he joined HotwaxMedia, he's missing I
>> guess.
>>
>> Someone in the PMC should stand out. Jacques Le Roux or Scott Gray?
>>
>> PMC, programmers meeting committee? If so, it's a quite pitty for
>> an ERP
>> platform. :)
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Shi Yusen/Beijing Langhua Ltd.
>
> OFBiz is not commercial software with paid developers. JBoss may be
> available under an open source license, but it is developed under a
> commercial model, not a community-driven model like OFBiz.
>
> In the case of a community-driven software project, what would a
> project manager do? Who would he/she boss around? Who would be
> accountable for delivery and how would that accountability be
> enforced?

I clicked on "Send" too quickly...

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.