Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Özhan Rüzgar Karaman <or...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/01 09:10:30 UTC

long waiting times on routervm for savepassword and DhcpEntryCommand's

Hi Developers;
I could find any answer from Cloudstack User Mailing list, i am forwarding
my mail to the development list, thanks for all answers who has experience
on high capacity virtual router usage.

Thanks
Özhan

Today i noticed that my vm creation commands takes a little bit long then
before. When i check the logs i noticed that router vm takes too much time
like 4 seconds for each savepassword and DhcpEntryCommands.

We are using advanced networking with security groups enabled for ACS 4.8 .
It looks like when ip address usage increases(100 ip addresess for one C
Class network) for each guest network block, router vm responds slower than
the old days.

We are using default compute offering for virtual router, my plan is to
change to default offering for virtual router vm to 512 mb ram & 2 core cpu
and increase cpu shares and restart virtual router.

Are there any other cleanup procedures or other ways to speed up
savepassword and DhcpEntryCommands like disable logging or any other clues
would be helpful. Because of this long waiting times on 2 commands total vm
creation time takes longer then expected.

Re: long waiting times on routervm for savepassword and DhcpEntryCommand's

Posted by Özhan Rüzgar Karaman <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wido;

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

> > Op 1 juni 2016 om 11:10 schreef Özhan Rüzgar Karaman <
> oruzgarkaraman@gmail.com>:
> >

> > Hi Developers;
> > I could find any answer from Cloudstack User Mailing list, i am
> forwarding
> > my mail to the development list, thanks for all answers who has
> experience
> > on high capacity virtual router usage.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Özhan
> >
> > Today i noticed that my vm creation commands takes a little bit long then
> > before. When i check the logs i noticed that router vm takes too much
> time
> > like 4 seconds for each savepassword and DhcpEntryCommands.
> >

> I checked this quickly on a VR in Basic Networking and I see the same.
> It's that it is executing Python code for every Instance which has to be
> provisioned on that VR.
>
> I don't know of a quick way to work around this however, this probably
> requires parts of that code to be rewritten.

This negatively effects new vm instance total creation time :( . When you
add new ip, it spends lots of time on parsing data on routervm's json cache
files so if you have more ip addresses or more cloudinit userdata, it
spends more and more time on that phase. It looks like parsing code needs
to be optimised.

@Wido do you want me to open a bug report on Jira about this issue, that a
developer who is responsible for this code could be aware & mention about
this problem and work on it.

Thanks
Özhan

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
Master is frozen for 4.9, so probably no if it is not already in.

Posted by Özhan Rüzgar Karaman <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Remi;

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi Wido,