Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Pierre Bourret <pi...@imag.fr> on 2015/04/03 14:35:30 UTC

Story: Upgrading to Apache Karaf 4.x

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project based on Apache Karaf, (v3.0.3). We
are planning to upgrade to Karaf 4.x as soon as it is released, mainly
because we need WebSocket support => Jetty 9.x (see the related topic:
"Use Jetty 9.x with Karaf 3.x").

So I've tested two things:
- building the project w/ Karaf 4.0.0.M2
- building the project w/ Karaf 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT (a very fresh one:
33ef5db). Yes, we add some issues with M2 version, and wanted to test an
unstable one ;)

This are the things I've noticed during the upgrade. I don't know if
there are problems or undocumented changes, so I hope someone can tell me.

A) Karaf 4.0.0.M2
=================

There are two things here:

1. We were depending on Karaf's "standard" feature, which seems to have
disappeared (since commit d80852d). After replacing the missing feature
by its dependencies (i.e. shell-compat, log, config, ...) everything
works pretty well.

So my question is: is this normal? Was this feature intended to be
removed, will it be replaced by something else? I've heard of static
distribution and profiles somewhere, but I don't know if it could help,
or how to use it.

2. The generated distribution archives have very fancy names:
pom.xml.tar.gz or pom.xml.zip! Apart from that, the content of the
distribution is just fine. I don't know if the configuration for
maven-karaf-plugin has changed, BUT this specific issue seems to be
solved in the trunk version: distributions names are back to normal (cf.
B.2).

B) Karaf 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT (built from trunk)
=======================

Because I'm a very anxious guy that cannot wait for the release ;) I've
also tried the current trunk version, to see what has changed, evolved,
and to be prepared for the release day.

So, the first step was to build the Karaf trunk. I encountered some
small problems here (missing dependencies, hard to find), but that's
another (unrelated) story, isn't it?

Then, after building the project on top of Karaf 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT:

1. No surprise: the standard feature is gone for good ;)

2. As said hereabove, the generated distribution names are back to
normal. OK!

3. There is a nasty bug, preventing Karaf from booting:
"Could not resolve
mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.framework/4.9.0-SNAPHOT"
The SimpleMavenResolver converts snapshot mvn urls is a quite naive way,
without looking at timestamped version (which is here:
org.apache.felix.framework-4.9.0-20150317.094027-1.jar)
Workaround is to rename the file, replacing the timestamp by "SNAPSHOT".
Not sure this is a real issue, because it only affects Karaf if it uses
a snapshot version of Apache Felix.

4. Console branding does not work anymore. I'm still investigating on
this one... Has something changed since M2?

I hope this feedback will help a little. A can send more technical
details about issues, bur for now this story is getting long enough.

In advance, thanks!

--
Pierre Bourret
Ingénieur Recherche et Développement

Re: Story: Upgrading to Apache Karaf 4.x

Posted by Pierre Bourret <pi...@imag.fr>.
Ok, I've just found some material about the branding problem:
- KARAF-3515 branding.properties file in the etc folder doesn't work
- KARAF-3567 Branding not applied to shell

Sorry for the background noise :s

Regard,
Pierre

Posted by Pierre Bourret <pi...@imag.fr>.
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I just assumed a release was a lot further off based on the latest
release being an M2.  I'm glad it's close to a release though.. I can't
wait for it to be released.

Ryan

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ryan,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Story: Upgrading to Apache Karaf 4.x

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Pierre,

--