Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by helt <an...@dataexpedition.net> on 2017/10/25 10:12:31 UTC

1.0.0 in 2017?

Hi,

For my thesis, I was in need of some annotator stuff and I just didn’t
found annotator.js, so I wrote my own. I do not rely on anything but the
Range API and react.js.

Now the question is, will this new annotator project reach 1.0.0 soon,
so i can add a simple react ui addon/plugin? I hope you release 1.0.0
when its done, i just want to know whether that is in 2017 or not :)

best,
Hendrik

Re: 1.0.0 in 2017?

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:44 AM helt <
annotator.incubator.apache.org@dataexpedition.net> wrote:

> Hi Randall,
>
> after reading your email twice and skimming over the W3C stuff and
> planning wiki page, I am a strong advocate of getting the selector.js
> done first :) I don't even need the w3c data structures as I have my
> own...

The selector implementation is about identifying (selecting) segments of
the document. It is independent of the Range implementation.

> I agree, the Range API is more complex than I had imagined and
> implementations of it seem to differ across browsers. So before
> extending my own hacky code to robustify selection, I looked at your
> project as a possible alternative. Whether any w3c (or whatever) Data
> Model standard is (correctly) implemented or not is not of relevance to
> me right now, as the web app I have written does definitely not adhere
> to any. If this is your first big milestone, I will be happy to
> contribute a package that uses reactjs to highlight stuff.

Range has definitely implemented inconsistently. Newer browsers might be
more consistent, but I suspect there are still some difficulties.

A comprehensive replacement that tries to be consistent is Rangy [1]. In my
experience, that's only really necessary for older browsers (IE < 10) that
implement Range very poorly or not at all. For the purpose of getting
consistent Range for selections of text, you might find that a simpler
library, range-normalize, is helpful [2]. I have a version of it that has
no external dependencies and, I believe, a simpler algorithm [3]. I may
merge that into annotator.

[1] https://github.com/timdown/rangy
[2] https://github.com/webmodules/range-normalize
[3] https://github.com/webmodules/range-normalize/pull/2

Re: 1.0.0 in 2017?

Posted by helt <an...@dataexpedition.net>.
Hi Randall,

after reading your email twice and skimming over the W3C stuff and
planning wiki page, I am a strong advocate of getting the selector.js
done first :) I don't even need the w3c data structures as I have my
own...

I agree, the Range API is more complex than I had imagined and
implementations of it seem to differ across browsers. So before
extending my own hacky code to robustify selection, I looked at your
project as a possible alternative. Whether any w3c (or whatever) Data
Model standard is (correctly) implemented or not is not of relevance to
me right now, as the web app I have written does definitely not adhere
to any. If this is your first big milestone, I will be happy to
contribute a package that uses reactjs to highlight stuff.

demo available here:
(replace the "1" with "i" in the dns name; i do not dare to expose that
url directly...)
http://cascade.ukp.1nformat1k.tu-darmstadt.de/help.html
--> Area 2 — The Annotation area
--> Try the annotator by selecting text with your cursor
Please tell me if there is something you are interested in.

best,
Hendrik

Re: 1.0.0 in 2017?

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for asking, Hendrik!

I will speak for myself only. We have not discussed versioning as a group.

I would like to see us follow semantic versioning, but I believe it's
important, at such an early stage of a project, to proceed without firm
commitments to API stability. With those two points in mind, I suggest that
1.0.0 is probably a ways off.

However, you are welcome and encouraged to pin any earlier version if it is
useful to you, so that you can begin using the project much sooner. We
would love to have your feedback and/or your contributions. If there is
anything you would be willing to contribute to the project please do not
hesitate to share it and we can discuss the best way.

An important question is when we might make any release, and what kind of
release cadence can we reasonably attempt. Apache projects are required to

Re: 1.0.0 in 2017?

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
(Sorry if anyone gets this twice. The first time I sent it was from the
wrong address, and I want to ensure it makes it to the list as well as