Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by sashan <sa...@ihug.co.nz> on 2003/07/26 00:03:11 UTC

svnserve

Hi

How do i access a repository on my local machine using svnserve on WInXP?

I've created a repository using svnadmin and then imported some files
into it. I can checkout the contents by typing:

svn checkout file:///e:/svn_repos_temp/temp_proj

Now I want to do it using svnserve because I plan to put my repository
on another machine on the network. I start svnserve by typing:

svnserve

and then the following appears in the console window so it looks like
svnserve is running:

( success ( 1 1 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( ) ) )

Then I try and connect to it as in the example in the docs:

svn checkout svn://localhost/e/svn_repos_temp/temp_proj

However I get the following error messages:

svn: No connection could be made because the target machine actively
refused it.
svn: Can't connect to host 'localhost'

I'm using the build of subverison located here
http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/5117/svn-0.25.0-setup.exe

Thanks

--
sashan
http://sashan.netfirms.com

Re: svnserve

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
sashan wrote:

> How do i access a repository on my local machine using svnserve on WInXP?
> and then the following appears in the console window so it looks like
> svnserve is running:
>
> ( success ( 1 1 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( ) ) )

Read the section on "svnserve" in chapter 5 of the Subversion Book (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/):

  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch05s04.html#svn-ch-5-sect-4.2

- Julian

Re: svnserve

Posted by sashan <sa...@ihug.co.nz>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

>sashan <sa...@ihug.co.nz> writes:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>How do i access a repository on my local machine using svnserve on WInXP?
>>

>I'm a big fan of svnserve's -r option.  However, there might be a
>gotcha regarding repositories in the root directory of a volume.  So,
>on Windows, I keep a directory C:\Subversion, and in it are various
>repositories, like 'test-repo' or 'greek'.

Thanks. I ended up installing Apache and it seems to work fine with subversion. Was easier than expected and I get repository browsing.

Re: svnserve

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
sashan <sa...@ihug.co.nz> writes:

> Hi
>
> How do i access a repository on my local machine using svnserve on WInXP?

I'm a big fan of svnserve's -r option.  However, there might be a
gotcha regarding repositories in the root directory of a volume.  So,
on Windows, I keep a directory C:\Subversion, and in it are various
repositories, like 'test-repo' or 'greek'.

Now, I do this:

   svnserve -d -r C:\Subversion

which, for some reason, doesn't get backgrounded (unfinished feature?)

Then, in another command shell (and at any filesystem location,
regardless of which drive I'm on), I can do:

   svn co svn://localhost/greek,  or
   svn co svn://localhost/test-repo