Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shai Gallant <sh...@coffmatech.com> on 2016/09/08 15:36:42 UTC

Apache HTTPD Training and certification

Good morning,

Is there an official Apache training program designed for the HTTPD project?
I've found a few companies online that offer training, but none that offer
certification, let alone endorsement from Apache.  Can you please tell me
how our company can offer an accredited course for Apache HTTPD that awards
a certificate approved by the Apache Community?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

Shai-Anne Gallant

Re: Apache HTTPD Training and certification

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 09/08/2016 11:36 AM, Shai Gallant wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Is there an official Apache training program designed for the HTTPD project?
> I've found a few companies online that offer training, but none that offer
> certification, let alone endorsement from Apache.  Can you please tell me
> how our company can offer an accredited course for Apache HTTPD that awards
> a certificate approved by the Apache Community?

What Mr. Rowe says. The closest that you're going to get is to find
someone that offers training, who is also a committer on the project in
question. For example, for httpd, you might find a trainer, and then see
if they are listed on https://www.openhub.net/p/apache/contributors

I am not aware, right at the moment, of anybody from our community who
is actively offering training classes.

We do, however, run a conference twice a year - once in Europe and once
in North America - where you can attend a variety of sessions about this
project. http://apachecon.com/

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Apache HTTPD Training and certification

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Sep 9, 2016 3:47 AM, "Shai Gallant" <sh...@coffmatech.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Is there an official Apache training program designed for the HTTPD
project?
> I've found a few companies online that offer training, but none that offer
> certification, let alone endorsement from Apache.  Can you please tell me
> how our company can offer an accredited course for Apache HTTPD that
awards
> a certificate approved by the Apache Community?

Being a charitable 501(c)3 foundation, the ASF makes no commerical
judgements with respect to 'certifications' or 'approved distributions'.
What commerical and non-commerical entities do with the ASF source code is
up to them, provided they comply with license, copyright and trademark law.
Other software foundations organized as 501(c)6 organizations have more
flexibility in this respect.

E.g. a vendor cannot offer a "Certified Apache Tomcat Administrator'
designation, as this implies endorsement by the ASF, in violation of the
ASF's mark.