Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by in...@softwaredistributor.info on 2012/05/06 08:15:37 UTC

Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Dear Alex,

Re:Hong Kong Distributor (Free Software-Free CD-ROM)
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html

Please Change my website URL from
http://www.networkowned.com (Domain illegally transferred to other account)
http://www.softwaredistributor.info

Hong Kong
Distributor

Free Software-Free CD-ROM     http://www.networkowned.com (invalid) please
change to  http://www.softwaredistributor.info

Grateful if you can change it as soon as possible.

You can find my application email(info@networkowned.com) for distributor
in your mail archive

Regards
Benjamin Lee
info@softwaredistributor.info

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Kay Schenk wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 11:15 PM, info@softwaredistributor.info wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html
>> Please Change my website URL from
>> http://www.networkowned.com (Domain illegally transferred to other
>> account)
>> http://www.softwaredistributor.info
>
> Is there any problem with honoring this request?

Yes (for the second part, i.e., the new site). At least, this is what I
posted when addressing the very same request on ooo-users and
ooo-marketing: http://s.apache.org/6sF ; but I delegated the final
decision to Trademarks.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

There days was thinking in the creation or reformulation of the cd/dvd AOO,
could create thread about this.

In future create cd/dvd with Apache OpenOffice 3.4 and/or next versions.

Best,
Albino

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:

>    I do not see either http://www.networkowned.com or
> http://www.softwaredistributor.info on that page.  Maybe someone updated
> it already?

I wasn't even aware of that page :). By the way, just checked and one
domain under "Argentina" is no longer operating, you might want to remove it
*
http://pedidos.televentas.info/

FC
*
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I agree.  It looks like doing a reset and then rebuilding this
> structure in a way that is appropriate for Apache OpenOffice is the
> best way forward.

Probably; but in this case I'd wait a few weeks, possibly check with
Trademarks what requirements we need to place on the distributors, then
see who is distributing Apache OpenOffice 3.4 properly and remove the
other ones. In any case, we already have some disclaimers in place so I
wouldn't reset the page now (on the other hand, my initial position was
similar to Drew's, i.e., zap everything by release time; I don't have
strong preferences, but there's a lot of editing going on in the website
currently and it seems the CMS does not allow to publish single files,
so I'd postpone the cleanup until the release anyway).

> Andrea Pescetti has done some work on the page today.  I suggest
> consulting with him on a clean way forward.

What I did was:
- Remove the spam site as per original request: http://s.apache.org/6sF
- Notify Trademarks so that we can have advice: http://s.apache.org/6sF
- Remove spam/dead links, limited to Italy: http://s.apache.org/9dK
- Remove dead link reported by Fernando: http://s.apache.org/3Ec

So I just took the obvious uncontroversial actions. The real issue is
still to be examined, but I'd give priority to what is strictly relevant
for the release.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>> > +1
>> >
>> > I agree.  It looks like doing a reset and then rebuilding this
>> structure in a way that is appropriate for Apache OpenOffice is the best
>> way forward.
>> >

>> +1
>>
>> Right now we have no guarantees that these distributors are actually
>> distributing current versions of OpenOffice, older versions with
>> security issues, or even modified versions of OpenOffice with adware
>> inserted.  We see things like this happening all over the web today.
>> So I'd be very careful on how we associate the project with
>> initiatives like this.  It is one thing if a PMC member or someone
>> known to us wants to distribute CD's at a conference.  It is another
>> thing for us to put up free advertising for unknown parties to sell
>> what may or may not be real copies of OpenOffice.
>>
>> What we could do to protect our users is something like this:
>>
>> -- Define a new logo, perhaps based on the project logo, for CD
>> distributors
>>
>> -- Put the logo up on a webpage page and allow anyone to use the logo,
>> but only if it is used on a CD containing a release of OpenOffice and
>> nothing but OpenOffice.
>>

> Well there is a rather prominent disclaimer on the page --
>
>  *Note: OpenOffice.org makes no claims about the contents of any CD-ROM
> you may purchase from a distributor listed here. We list these only as a
> courtesy to the community. Should you find old or invalid links, please
> report them to the page maintainer: Alex Fisher <cd...@openoffice.org>
>
> We should probably make a minor change on this for now and replace
> OpenOffice.org with Apache OpenOffice , remove Alex, and point them to
> ooo-dev? As I'm making final adjustments to things I am finding many such
> items.*

Also, we have NO CD images...I will make a few more changes to this now,
for now.

> *
> *
>

>> > This will disadvantage some NL groups who have been maintaining the
>> information for their region, though.  So it needs to be a brief disruption.
>> >
>> > Andrea Pescetti has done some work on the page today.  I suggest
>> consulting with him on a clean way forward.
>> >
>> >  - Dennis

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Monday, 7. May 2012 at 18:35, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 6:35 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> > way

> > actually
> > > > > > >

> > adware
> > > > > >

> > today.
> > > > > > >

> > another
> > > > > >

> > sell

> > logo,
> > > > > >

> > OpenOffice and

> > CD-ROM

> > please
> > > > >

> > cdrom@openoffice.org>

> > have

> > party

> > that...
> > > >

> > > Maybe yes with a note that we are working on a reliable and working
> > >

> > solution for the future.
> > > I can think of a partner who we know and who simply produce it on demand.
> >

> > Hi Juergen
> >
> > Those damed folks where just clingers on anyway - I am sure you agree.
> >
> > //drew
> For now, I just completely commented out the CD ROM and ISO image stuff
> from the new download page. I can work on this in a bit and when we have
> what we like I'll put it back in.

+1

Juergen

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> You can see what a mess that would be if we allowed this for 3rd party
> download sites, if we just added links on request.  A disclaimer would
> not really help the users.
>
> Of course, we would never do something like that with download links.
> But I'm not sure that just changing the media to CD-Rom magically
> makes it better.  It is still a swamp.

yes...so, a solution? ditch the page entirely? We can certainly do that...

> > We should probably make a minor change on this for now and replace
> > OpenOffice.org with Apache OpenOffice , remove Alex, and point them to
> > ooo-dev? As I'm making final adjustments to things I am finding many such
> > items.
> > *

> >> information for their region, though.  So it needs to be a brief
> disruption.

> >> consulting with him on a clean way forward.

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > I agree.  It looks like doing a reset and then rebuilding this structure
> in a way that is appropriate for Apache OpenOffice is the best way forward.
> >

> +1
>
> Right now we have no guarantees that these distributors are actually
> distributing current versions of OpenOffice, older versions with
> security issues, or even modified versions of OpenOffice with adware
> inserted.  We see things like this happening all over the web today.
> So I'd be very careful on how we associate the project with
> initiatives like this.  It is one thing if a PMC member or someone
> known to us wants to distribute CD's at a conference.  It is another
> thing for us to put up free advertising for unknown parties to sell
> what may or may not be real copies of OpenOffice.
>
> What we could do to protect our users is something like this:
>
> -- Define a new logo, perhaps based on the project logo, for CD
> distributors
>
> -- Put the logo up on a webpage page and allow anyone to use the logo,
> but only if it is used on a CD containing a release of OpenOffice and
> nothing but OpenOffice.

Well there is a rather prominent disclaimer on the page --

 *Note: OpenOffice.org makes no claims about the contents of any CD-ROM you
may purchase from a distributor listed here. We list these only as a
courtesy to the community. Should you find old or invalid links, please
report them to the page maintainer: Alex Fisher <cd...@openoffice.org>

We should probably make a minor change on this for now and replace
OpenOffice.org with Apache OpenOffice , remove Alex, and point them to
ooo-dev? As I'm making final adjustments to things I am finding many such
items.
*

> > This will disadvantage some NL groups who have been maintaining the
> information for their region, though.  So it needs to be a brief disruption.
> >
> > Andrea Pescetti has done some work on the page today.  I suggest
> consulting with him on a clean way forward.
> >
> >  - Dennis

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/6 Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>

> +1
>
> I agree.  It looks like doing a reset and then rebuilding this structure
> in a way that is appropriate for Apache OpenOffice is the best way forward.

+1

Beginng of zero.

With all the ideas here so far.

Some "old" infos:

Iso: http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/iso_download.html

Art:
http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/cdart/previous_cdart.html

Best,
Albino

RE: Who is Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> My opinion on that anyway, and to re-emphasize - I think we want
> distributors and an information page such as this and I'll work with
> others to get it back, but I really think by Tuesday the links should be
> e gone

How about replacing it with something like: "Do you distribute Apache Open
Office on CD? Let us know, so we can add you to this page". (mailto: link)

Then "Known distributors of OpenOffice.org" and the current,  "legacy" list
below...

FC
PS: I don't think it's needed to "create a cd image" distributors can
download and burn Apache OO themselves... why go the extra effort of
repackaging it as .ISO if distributors are already doing it and
cherry-picking which languages to include etc according to their location?

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 08:50 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 05/05/2012 11:15 PM, info@softwaredistributor.info wrote:
> > Dear Alex,
> >
> > Re:Hong Kong Distributor (Free Software-Free CD-ROM)
> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html
> >

> > Please Change my website URL from
> > http://www.networkowned.com (Domain illegally transferred to other account)
> > http://www.softwaredistributor.info
> >

> > Hong Kong
> > Distributor
> >
> > Free Software-Free CD-ROM     http://www.networkowned.com (invalid) please
> > change to  http://www.softwaredistributor.info
> >

> > Grateful if you can change it as soon as possible.
> >

> > You can find my application email(info@networkowned.com) for distributor
> > in your mail archive
> >

> > Regards
> > Benjamin Lee
> > info@softwaredistributor.info
> >

> Is there any problem with honoring this request?

I think there is, actually.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.