Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Arjen van Staalduinen <ar...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/27 14:08:59 UTC

[VFS] Status of current snapshot build

Hello,

We've been making serious use of the VFS in a current project that I work
on, but in the current 1.0 release there seem to be some very nasty
concurrency issues. I've come across some issues in the bugtracking system
that I've also encountered, and a self build snapshot version seems to have
those issues resolved.

Now I'm facing the question if I want to put that snapshot build in a
production environment or remove VFS from our project and rebuild that
functionality with self build code. All my unit tests work fine with the
this snapshot build, but I still need some extra courage:). Can someone
provide me some kind of info that makes my confidence in this snapshot build
grow?

On a related note. From what I've seen it seems like a smart move to atleast
prepare a new release, as the 1.0 build is basicly not usuable in a multi
threaded environment.

Thanx in advance,
Arjen

Re: [VFS] Status of current snapshot build

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Arjen van Staalduinen
<ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've been making serious use of the VFS in a current project that I work
> on, but in the current 1.0 release there seem to be some very nasty
> concurrency issues. I've come across some issues in the bugtracking system
> that I've also encountered, and a self build snapshot version seems to have
> those issues resolved.
>
> Now I'm facing the question if I want to put that snapshot build in a
> production environment or remove VFS from our project and rebuild that
> functionality with self build code. All my unit tests work fine with the
> this snapshot build, but I still need some extra courage:). Can someone
> provide me some kind of info that makes my confidence in this snapshot build
> grow?
>
> On a related note. From what I've seen it seems like a smart move to atleast
> prepare a new release, as the 1.0 build is basicly not usuable in a multi
> threaded environment.

<snip/>

I'm afraid there isn't any way to grow confidence in snapshots, short
of an actual release.

You can ping the dev list and ask if there are any [VFS] release plans
in the near future.

-Rahul

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
Hi Arjen:

The best approach would be to file Bugzilla tickets for each issue with patches to the code and unit tests.

You can then wait for the fixes to be reviewed and integrated or discussed. You can then pick up a nightly-build or build from sources.

Then you can pick up the next release.

Gary

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
We are using the latest trunk code in our production environment
(we're only using FTP and file urls, though).

Posted by "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ra...@dslextreme.com>.