Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by khandelwalanuj <kh...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/13 10:41:19 UTC

Scaling ActiveMQ broker for higher load (Network of brokers)

Hi,

I am currently using ActiveMQ 5.10 and running one message broker. In my
setup clients are continuously increasing by which load on the message
broker is getting higher.

I want to scale my ActiveMQ broker setup to handle such kind of load. After
reading some documentation, I think Network of broker is the best option to
decrease load from one broker and spread it between network of brokers.

Is there a way by which I can use one broker for some particular
destinations and another for some other destinations (may be topics and
queues are on different broker) ? Or Can I have one broker for persistent
message and another for non-persistent messages ?

How many brokers should I use and what are all configuration option for the
network (like clients connection to the broker are separated by persistent
or destination or connection etc)?

Thanks,
Anuj

Re: Scaling ActiveMQ broker for higher load (Network of brokers)

Posted by pollotek <cl...@gmail.com>.
You can set up two brokers, one persistent and one non-persistent and have
the consumers for the persistent messages connect to the persistent broker
and the non persistent consumers to the other one. Have the producers
connected to both enqueuing to the right broker for the corresponding
queues.

This actually doesn't take care of the load but will help you split the
different kinds of messages.

You can setup a network of brokers for persistent and another one for
non-persistent so you can actually split the load.

Re: Scaling ActiveMQ broker for higher load (Network of brokers)

Posted by Rodrigo Ramos <cr...@gmail.com>.
You can do it with servicemix. Servicemix has rules for route messages
using java code (Spring format).

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
Do you need perfect ordering of messages?

If not just use two activemq servers, each with the same queues.  Then have
your consumers load balance reading from each one… same thing for writing
from each one.

Taking servers offline just means taking them out for writes and then
having consumers drain all the messages.

You can also implement basic load weight if the servers are asymmetric in
compute capacity.

You lose perfect ordering of messages though.  The messages will be
processed out of order.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM, khandelwalanuj <khandelwal.anuj90@gmail.com

> I am currently using ActiveMQ 5.10 and running one message broker. In my
> setup clients are continuously increasing by which load on the message
> broker is getting higher.
>
> I want to scale my ActiveMQ broker setup to handle such kind of load. After
> reading some documentation, I think Network of broker is the best option to
> decrease load from one broker and spread it between network of brokers.
>
> Is there a way by which I can use one broker for some particular
> destinations and another for some other destinations (may be topics and
> queues are on different broker) ? Or Can I have one broker for persistent
> message and another for non-persistent messages ?
>
> How many brokers should I use and what are all configuration option for the
> network (like clients connection to the broker are separated by persistent
> or destination or connection etc)?
>

> Thanks,
> Anuj

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com