Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/23 04:11:16 UTC

Re: Unable to extract images content (OCR) from PDF files using Solr

Hi,

I'm also facing the same issue as what you faced 2 months back, like able
to extract the image content if there are in .jpg or .png format, but not
able to extract the images in pdf, even after setting "extractInlineImages
true" in the PDFParser.properties.

Have you managed to find alternative solutions to this problem?

Regards,
Edwin

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
I concur with Erick and Upayavira that it is best to keep Tika in a separate JVM...well, ideally a separate box or rack or even data center [0][1]. :)

But seriously, if you're using DIH/SolrCell, you have to configure Tika to parse documents recursively.  This was made possible in SOLR-7189...see the test case/patch [2] for how to configure this.  Given that this is the behavior that most people probably expect, we may want to modify the default setting in DIH; this may be a major/breaking default change, though.

As always, please ping the Tika users list if you have any questions.

Looks like we should update our wiki [3] to include guidance on OCR'ing embedded images.

[0] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/TikaEval_ACNA15_allison_herceg_v2.pdf
[1] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/WhatsNewWithApacheTika.pdf
[2]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7189
[3] https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaOCR