Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Roland Etzenhammer <r....@t-online.de> on 2015/01/29 07:44:00 UTC

incremential repairs - again

Hi,

a short question about the new incremental repairs again. I am running
2.1.2 (for testing). Marcus pointed me that 2.1.2 should do incremental
repairs automatically, so I rolled back all steps taken. I expect that
routine repair times will decrease when I do not put many new data on
the cluster.

But they dont - they are constant at about 1000 minutes  per node, so I
extracted all "Repaired at" with sstablemetadata and I cant see any
recent date. I put several GB of data into the cluster in 2015 and I run
"nodetool repair -pr" on every node regularly.

Am I still missing something? Or is this one of the issues with 2.1.2
(CASSANDRA-8316)?

Thanks for hints,
Jan

Re: incremential repairs - again

Posted by Roland Etzenhammer <r....@t-online.de>.
Hi,

the "automatically" meant this reply earlier:

> If you are on 2.1.2+ (or using STCS) you don't those steps (should
> probably update the blog post).
>
> Now we keep separate levelings for the repaired/unrepaired data and
> move the sstables over after the first incremental repair

My understanding was, that there are no steps necessary to migrate to
incremental repairs (disableautocompaction and so on) for 2.1.2+.

I'm looking forward to the next release - and I'll give a test run.

Thanks so far :-)

Re: incremential repairs - again

Posted by Marcus Eriksson <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Unsure what you mean by automatically, but you should use "-par -inc" when
you repair

And, you should wait until 2.1.3 (which will be out very soon) before doing
this, we have fixed many issues with incremental repairs

/Marcus