Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Muruganandham, Ashokkumar" <as...@fluke.com> on 2018/03/12 05:18:42 UTC

Log Retention Period of Kafka Messages

Hi Team,

Form the documentation I could see that log retention period is relative to the partition segments. So unless the segment is closed (1Gb/1 Week) the message will never be deleted.

Consider I have a very critical use case where I will need to delete the data every day and my segment reaches 1GB after three days. So according the above statement, then there is no way I could configure Kafka to delete the data in one day.

Is my understanding correct ?

Regards,
AK
________________________________

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included in any attachment.

Re: Log Retention Period of Kafka Messages

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 10:13 AM, Kyle Tinker <kt...@workforcesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> You have a couple options:
> 1) You can adjust log.segment.bytes to make the segments smaller so that individual segments can be trimmed
> 2) You can set log.roll.hours, which will roll to a new log segment even if the size hasn't been reached
> Note: #1 and #2 also have per-topic setting controls

About #2, it's possible that segments will only roll when a message has been received, after log.roll.hours (or log.roll.ms, etc). That is, if the time has passed but no new message has been received, the log roll might not happen.

You should do some testing to double check.

-James