Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Troxel Steven O CRBV <Tr...@nswccd.navy.mil> on 2003/04/18 22:50:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Internal Redirect Changes POST to GET

I have noticed with Apache 2.* that a "internal redirect" such as when using RewriteRule or DirectoryIndex directive that a POST request method is transformed to a GET method resulting in the lose of POST form parameters.

For example:

In a dir /somedir if you have a .htaccess file with a rewrite rule

RewriteRule *. /cgi-bin/prog.pl

Then http://myserver.com/somedir/ is internally redirected to the application prog.pl.  Since this is an internal redirect the browser never knows the difference.  Everything works fine for a GET method and the QUERY_STRING is preserved however if the original method was a POST the request method is changed to a GET internally and form parameters are lost.

This use to work with Apache 1.3.*. with both RewriteRule and DirectoryIndex and I cannot see any logical reason why you would want the method transformed.