Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Andrea Loddo <ga...@libero.it> on 2005/07/07 18:35:09 UTC

benchmark settings

Hi,

I am asking myself how I could interpret tests results. I am testing my
Web Service in localhost and my pc is a Pentium centrino 1.5 GHz with
512MB RAM. So what are the normal performances of an application running
on this kind of pc? How many threads could I set with ramp-up period
=0sec?  Has this operation sense on this pc?  My Web Service  doesn't
work with 5 threads and ramp-up period =0. Is that a bad result?
I get good results with

number of threads:100

ramp-up period: 80

it means that my Web Service has not good performances, doesn't it?

Thanks very much.
Andrea.

Re: Is there a way to print results from listners? Varibles and datebase problem

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7/8/05, S.Bloch@abg.com.pl <S....@abg.com.pl> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I have data from production which are changing every day so i have to take
> it from database.

Or fetch it once per day?

> I'll write it into Jmeter source code. If you would like to check it when
> i'll finish, tell me and i'll send it to you.

Thanks .

Posted by S....@abg.com.pl.
Thanks!

I have data from production which are changing every day so i have to take
it from database.
I'll write it into Jmeter source code. If you would like to check it when
i'll finish, tell me and i'll send it to you.

Sebastian

On 7/8/05, S.Bloch@abg.com.pl <S....@abg.com.pl> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to print resuts from listners?

I think 2.0.3 includes a way to create screen dumps (^G IIRC) - if
not, then certainly 2.1 (only available in nightlies at present) does.
These can then be printed.

> And also if there is a way to save results directly to file without
> keeping it in JMeter memory. I want to run long period testing(2 days)
and
> i don't have enought memory to save such a big result.

Create a testplan without any listeners.
Set output format to CSV.
Run as non-GUI with -l to create log file:

jmeter -n -t test.jmx -l test.jtl

This will make the most efficient use of memory.

We frequently run tests like that over a weekend, perhaps with
millions of transactions in total.

> Is there a way to take values for varibles from datebase? Not only for
one
> but for all in User Parameters. For only one it would be easy to write
> function but for 200 in 500 threads it is a bit troublesome. If there's
> way please tell me.

Probably could do so using BeanShell and JDBC, but there is currently
no built-in method of doing so.

You could create a file (from the database if necessary), and read it
with the StringFromFile or CSVRead functions (or CSVData if using a
2.1 nightly)

This would be more efficient than reading from the database,
particularly if you want to run a test more than once.

> Sebastian

ditto!

Re: Is there a way to print results from listners? Varibles and datebase problem

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7/8/05, S.Bloch@abg.com.pl <S....@abg.com.pl> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to print resuts from listners?

I think 2.0.3 includes a way to create screen dumps (^G IIRC) - if
not, then certainly 2.1 (only available in nightlies at present) does.
These can then be printed.

> And also if there is a way to save results directly to file without
> keeping it in JMeter memory. I want to run long period testing(2 days) and
> i don't have enought memory to save such a big result.

Create a testplan without any listeners.
Set output format to CSV.
Run as non-GUI with -l to create log file:

jmeter -n -t test.jmx -l test.jtl

This will make the most efficient use of memory.

We frequently run tests like that over a weekend, perhaps with
millions of transactions in total.

> Is there a way to take values for varibles from datebase? Not only for one
> but for all in User Parameters. For only one it would be easy to write
> function but for 200 in 500 threads it is a bit troublesome. If there's a
> way please tell me.

Probably could do so using BeanShell and JDBC, but there is currently
no built-in method of doing so.

You could create a file (from the database if necessary), and read it
with the StringFromFile or CSVRead functions (or CSVData if using a
2.1 nightly)

This would be more efficient than reading from the database,
particularly if you want to run a test more than once.

> Sebastian

ditto!

Re: Is there a way to print results from listners? Varibles and datebase problem

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
there's a save graph feature in the nighthly which sebb mentioned. the
feature allows you to save most jmeter components to a file, including
samplers.  the current file format is PNG

peter

Re: benchmark settings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Also, a ramp-up period of 0 seconds means that JMeter is working much
harder, and if running on the same system as the webserver, it will
compete for CPU.

There is also some JMeter activity that only runs on the first loop.
I'd recommend a ramp-up time that starts between 1 to 10 threads per
second - or perhaps more if the box is powerful and/or the test quite
simple.

The fact that your server coped with 100 threads when started over 80
seconds indicates the problem was most likely the initial peak load -
assuming that the test ran long enough for all 100 threads to be
running at once at some point.

To reduce the effect of startup, the test should run for considerably
longer than the startup time - ideally at least 10 times as long.

If you want to get some idea of the load JMeter can generate, you can
use the Java Test sampler, as this does not rely on external servers
or network. If Jmeter struggles to generate a suitable load, then the
PC is underpowered (or you have too many listeners).

The HTTP Samplers are a bit more complicated than the JavaTest one,
and so will use more CPU, but you should be able to get some idea from
the test of the load that JMeter can generate. Of course the network
will reduce that.

S.

Re: benchmark settings

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.