Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2014/09/25 20:47:31 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1627582 - in /uima/uimaj/trunk/uima-docbook-references/src/docbook: images/references/ref.json/ images/references/ref.json/FScollections.png images/references/ref.json/big_picture2.png images/references/ref.json/image_source.odg ref.json.xml

On 25.09.2014, at 20:27, schor@apache.org wrote:

> +    <para>Starting with version 2.6.1, JSON style serialization for CASs and UIMA descriptions is supported via an
> +    optional add-on, <code>uimaj-json</code>.

I noticed that you have moved the JSON code to the addons now. Since we have developed a habit of no longer releasing the addons, I wonder if locating the new module next to the other UIMAJ SDK modules. When I spoke out in favor of having JSON support in its own module, I was indeed thinking of leaving it as a separate module in the SDK and version it along with the other SDK modules.

Are you planning on moving it to the SDK once read support has been added or were you thinking of leaving it in the addons?

Cheers,

- Richard

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> I think that the jackson-core jar should not be forced upon consumers of the
> uimaj-core jar and neither users should be forced to resort to exclusions to
> get rid of it. Hence, I suggested to move it to a separate module.
+1, this is now done.  The uimaj-core has no dependency on jackson-core.

> I think it's fine for developers to get the jackson-core jar via the normal
> dependency management.
>
> If we want to make the JSON a truly optional part of the build, then its
> <module> declaration in the UIMA SDK parent pom can be moved to a profile.
> If the profile is activated, it is part of the build, otherwise no
> Whether we enable or disable the profile by default, I don't care. We should
> enable it for our own releases and on Jenkins. Having it enabled by default
> would make it more convenient for us. Downstream consumers that do not have
> the jackson-core jar in their repositories could conveniently disable the
> profile (e.g. mvn -P!enable-json-support clean install)
>
> Sounds good?
+ 1.   I'll change it to what you suggest, and thank you for the suggestions!

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
I think that the jackson-core jar should not be forced upon consumers of the
uimaj-core jar and neither users should be forced to resort to exclusions to
get rid of it. Hence, I suggested to move it to a separate module.

I think it's fine for developers to get the jackson-core jar via the normal
dependency management.

If we want to make the JSON a truly optional part of the build, then its
<module> declaration in the UIMA SDK parent pom can be moved to a profile.
If the profile is activated, it is part of the build, otherwise not.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,