Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/27 13:18:36 UTC

Wicket, IDEA and Winstone...

I thought I ought to flag the above combination, as I'm finding it
really useful at the moment.

I've typically used Jetty, either via the wicket 'Start' class or via
the Maven plugin, but just at the moment I've come across some issues
with it. Basically, I'm investigating moving a Model 1 JSP webapp to
Wicket, and as part of that I need to have both JSPs and Wicket
running in the same app.  I've been able to get it mostly working, but
there's something (which is probably unique to the JSP app) that goes
wrong when running with Jetty.

Anyway, I'd happened to see that there was a Winstone IDEA plugin, so
I installed that, created a "Run/Debug config" pointing to the
exploded webapp in my output/target folder and I was up and running.

I've no idea if there's an Eclipse plugin, as I don't use it, but even
without the plugins, I'd recommend taking a look at Winstone, as it's
a rather useful (and fast and small) servlet container in a jar.
- http://winstone.sourceforge.net/

There's also a Maven plugin that lets you produce your own standalone
jar containing Winstone and your project war.
- http://alchim.sourceforge.net/winstone-maven-plugin/overview.html

--
Best regards,
 Gwyn                          mailto:gwyn.evans@gmail.com

Re: Wicket, IDEA and Winstone...

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Priceless! The best reason [1] why one would ever create a servlet
> container: to embarrass your friend.
>
> Martijn
>
> [1] http://winstone.sourceforge.net/#whyCalled

ha ha hahahahahah.. that's too funny..  With friends like that.. who
needs Winstone ;)

Re: Wicket, IDEA and Winstone...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Priceless! The best reason [1] why one would ever create a servlet
container: to embarrass your friend.

Martijn

[1] http://winstone.sourceforge.net/#whyCalled

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/

Re: Wicket, IDEA and Winstone...

Posted by David Bernard <dw...@free.fr>.
If you want to use Winstone instead of Jetty'Start : you could do like me for wicketstuff-jquery-examples:

extract from https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-jquery-examples/src/test/java/org/wicketstuff/RunWebApp.java
         try {
             HashMap<String, String> params = new HashMap<String, String>();
             params.put("webroot", "src/main/webapp"); // or any other command line
             // args, eg port
             Launcher.initLogger(params);
             new Launcher(params); // spawns threads (not daemon), so your application doesn't block
         } catch (Exception exc) {
             exc.printStackTrace();
             System.exit(100);
         }
     }
  and add in your pom.xml
         <dependency>
             <groupId>net.sourceforge.winstone</groupId>
             <artifactId>winstone-lite</artifactId>
             <version>0.9.6</version>
             <scope>test</scope>
         </dependency>
(you could replace "winstone-lite" by "winstone" for a full feature app.

/david

PS: Gwyn, have try winstone-maven-plugin, have you some feedback (I'm the author)?