Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2016/11/12 14:01:28 UTC

Fwd: [JENKINS] - More build NODES ; Less build LABELS

Hi,

infra consolidated jenkins nodes and labels. The most interesting part is the
comment of the reserved nodes H19&H20. Sounds like we should be able to create a
job to build our website using jenkins.

BR
Andreas

Betreff: [JENKINS] - More build NODES ; Less build LABELS
Datum: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:41:36 +1100
Von: Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Antwort an: builds@apache.org
An: builds@apache.org

HI All,

As some of you may have noticed, we have been working behind the scenes in Infra
making some improvements to the overall stability and health of Jenkins.

New Nodes
=========

Recently, we have added another 9 nodes  H12 - H20 of which H12 to H18 are
general purpose nodes for everyone.

Previously we added jenkins-us1, jenkins-eu2 and jenkins-eu3 again general purpose.
ubuntu-3 (Hemera) has been taken offline.

New Windows Nodes - we have 2 new windows 2012 nodes, which directly replaced
windows1 and windows2.
Labels Removed
=============

As promised some time ago, quite a few labels that were deemed no longer
required, have been removed.

Labels removed: yahoo-not-h2, docker, HDFS, MapReduce, Pig, Falcon, Tez and
ZooKeeper.

The current list of mapped Nodes to Labels can be found on our wiki page here:-

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins+node+labels
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins+node+labels>
In general, if you are a Hadoop related project, you would use as a priority the
\u2018Hadoop\u2019 label for  H0-H9 - thats 10 nodes.
If not a Hadoop related project, use the \u2018ubuntu\u2019 label  which currently
consists of 17 nodes.
You may mix n match - if appropriate use Hadoop||ubuntu for a choice of 27 nodes.

For Windows, please just use the generic \u2018Windows\u2019 label - as we add more
Windows nodes they will get this label.

Reserved Nodes
=============

There are specific nodes that have priority for projects - such as the Beam*
nodes, the Cassandra* nodes etc. These are all listed in the above wiki page.
These are not included in the generic \u2018ubuntu\u2019 labels.

In addition, H nodes H19 and H20 are reserved - they are for all projects to
use, however they are restricted to those projects that want to use Jenkins +
Git + Gitpubsub in order to publish their main www website(s). I\u2019ll do a new
post up specifically on this topic soon, but we are looking for one or two
projects as testers so please email if interested in knowing more.

Summary
=======

We have more nodes and less labels. yay!

Even more nodes are coming soon also so do stay tuned.

When I removed labels I also changed job configurations to replace any matching
labels with alternative remaining labels.
Some projects have already reverted to previous configurations and are failing
to build as a result. Please check your jobs ASAP and change them in necessary,

Thanks All, any questions or comments, direct to the builds@ list please.

Gav\u2026 (ASF Infra.)

Re: [JENKINS] - More build NODES ; Less build LABELS

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 14.11.2016 um 12:23 schrieb Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>:
>

>> Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> hat am 12. November 2016 um 16:09 geschrieben:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 12.11.2016 um 15:01 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> infra consolidated jenkins nodes and labels. The most interesting part is the comment of the reserved nodes H19&H20. Sounds like we should be able to create a job to build our website using jenkins.
>>>

>> we are already using asf-site to publish the content to but it's a little unclear to me how the actual build will be done as we are currently using jekyll to do that. So how would we go from the current template + unprocessed content to the actual HTML?
>
> Maybe it is possible to create a job which publishes changes based on a git checkin trigger, so that we can automate that part of the publishing as well.

infra would need to support jekyll so that as soon as we commit to master they build the static site and commit to asf-site.

Committing to asf-site today already publishes the new site but the build needs to be done locally.

BR
Maruan

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.