Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Lipeng Wan <li...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/03 20:23:44 UTC

Dose hdfs support the configuration that different blocks can have different number of replcias?

Hi devs,

By default, hdfs creates same number of replicas for each block. Is it
possible for us to create more replicas for some of the blocks?
Thanks!

L. W.

Re: Dose hdfs support the configuration that different blocks can have different number of replcias?

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Lipeng,

-setrep allows you to change the replication of an existing file. You can
also specify the replication factor when you initially create a file. Not
sure what you mean by "dynamically", that to me means calling setrep.

There is replication or invalidation work done as part of running -setrep.
This is done as a low-priority operation, unless the file is already in a
bad replication state (e.g. under-replicated).

Best,
Andrew

Posted by Lipeng Wan <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,