Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Daan Gerits <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/05 10:33:26 UTC

Append Storage

Hello everyone,

Is Pig capable of appending to a file? I know that an exception is thrown when a file exists using PigStorage, but is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,

Daan.

Re: Append Storage

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Append is not currently supported by FileOutputFormat, so it isn't currently supported by Pig.  In general appending isn't safe in MR because it is not atomic, which means there can be issues if a task fails and must be retried, with things like speculative execution, etc.

Alan.

Re: Append Storage

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.