Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Jia Teoh <ji...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/12 01:26:37 UTC

Using Kafka 0.10.x timestamps as a record value in Flink Streaming

Hi,

Is there a way to retrieve the timestamps that Kafka associates with each
key-value pair within Flink? I would like to be able to use these as values
within my application flow, and defining them before or after Kafka is not
acceptable for the use case due to the latency involved in sending or
receiving from Kafka.

It seems that Flink supports Kafka event time (link
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.2/dev/connectors/kafka.html#using-kafka-timestamps-and-flink-event-time-in-kafka-010>)
but after a brief trace it seems that KafkaConsumer010 still relies on the
Kafka09Fetcher
<https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-connectors/flink-connector-kafka-0.9/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/streaming/connectors/kafka/internal/Kafka09Fetcher.java#L137>
for
iterating through each Kafka record and deserializing it. The
KeyedDeserializationSchema api does not seem to have support for including
timestamp as additional metadata (just offset, topic, and partition) so
something such as JSONKeyValueDeserializationSchema will not return the
Kafka-specified timestamp.

For reference, I am using Kafka 0.10.2 and the Flink-Streaming API + Kafka
Connector (1.2.1).

Thanks,
Jia Teoh

Re: Using Kafka 0.10.x timestamps as a record value in Flink Streaming

Posted by Jia Teoh <ji...@gmail.com>.
I'll take a look into the ProcessFunction, thanks for the suggestion.

-Jia

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
Hi Jia,

[...]

It seems that Flink supports Kafka event time (link) but after a brief trace it seems that KafkaConsumer010 still relies on the Kafka09Fetcher for iterating through each Kafka record and deserializing it. The KeyedDeserializationSchema api does not seem to have support for including timestamp as additional metadata (just offset, topic, and partition) so something such as JSONKeyValueDeserializationSchema will not return the Kafka-specified timestamp.

Posted by Jia Teoh <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gordon,

Posted by Jia Teoh <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,