Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Reza Rokni <re...@google.com> on 2022/03/31 22:47:24 UTC

[RFC][design] Standardizing Beam IO connectors

Hi Everyone,

This is a follow up on Pablo's recent email on a proposal to try and
standardize IO connectors for Beam.

Most Beam connectors have been created by separate individuals, and they've
evolved over time with different features and API choices. This is fine,
but it makes Beam more difficult to learn as a framework, because for every
new IO connector, a user needs to study it and learn before picking it up.
The goal for these doc is to simplify the development, review and usage of
IO connectors for Beam.

We would also like to propose the following standard around documentation
for I/O's, Would you please take a look and add your comments / opinions /
ideas? We'd love everyone's feedback (dev@ and user@ alike!) so that we
can, in the future, strive for connectors that are easier to understand and
develop.

https://s.apache.org/beam-io-api-standard-documentation

Again thanks everyone for your comments on the first document which for
context is found here:

https://s.apache.org/beam-io-api-standard

Regards

Reza

Re: [RFC][design] Standardizing Beam IO connectors

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.
Yes, once we can wrap up the docs being discussed, I plan to add the
API+Syntax doc to Beam's site docs. Reza had thought of having Java/Pydoc
templates for new IOs, which I think is excellent.

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.

Posted by Sachin Agarwal <sa...@google.com>.

Posted by Reza Rokni <re...@google.com>.
Hi,