Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/01/23 21:02:53 UTC

[net] momentum for promotion?

i've been concerned for a while that there are quite a few components in
the sandbox which were donated in a mature state. they don't seem to have
assembled a community to push them forward but neither are mature general
releases versions available for people to use.

i hope that i'm not offending anyone by saying that i think that this
applies to net.

i've noticed some recent interest from users and i wondered whether we
could translate this into momentum for promotion of net to the commons
proper.

comments anyone?

- robert

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> i've been concerned for a while that there are quite a few components
> in the sandbox which were donated in a mature state. they don't seem
> to have assembled a community to push them forward but neither are
> mature general releases versions available for people to use.
>
> i hope that i'm not offending anyone by saying that i think that this
> applies to net.
>
> i've noticed some recent interest from users and i wondered whether we
> could translate this into momentum for promotion of net to the commons
> proper.

I would like to see this interest from users translated into momentum,
I just don't know how to do the translation.  I think that we left the
state of net at not having enough developers and not enough unit
tests.  I do get queries from users sent directly to me and always
attempt to deflect them to the commons list ( I'm sure Daniel gets
much more than I ).  There seems a strong user base, but we also need
developers.

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
For Net, +1. Daniel seems to still be maintaining it informally, but not
developing on it anymore. Assuming he's okay with a release, I think a 1.0
[or a version number that matches the latest NetComponent release number +
1] would be a good thing.

Hen