Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net> on 2002/05/09 06:30:12 UTC

Ant Management Tasks

Are these tasks only available in 4.1.x versions of Tomcat?

I'm currently running 4.0.1 and considering an upgrade for several reasons.  The 4.0 manager application howto doesn't mention anything about the tasks, but the 4.1 howto does.  It doesn't explicitly (that I saw) say it's a new feature, but I infer it is.  Am I correct?

Bottom line:  Can I use the tasks in 4.0.1 or do I need to wait until I upgrade to 4.1?

Thanks so much!

Eddie

Re: Ant Management Tasks

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Are these tasks only available in 4.1.x versions of Tomcat?
>
> Bottom line:  Can I use the tasks in 4.0.1 or do I need to wait until I
upgrade to 4.1?

They can't really be used with 4.0.x, since they need the new manager
servlet, which also may need some fixes and new features which were
introduced in 4.1.

Remy

Re: Ant Management Tasks

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 23:30:12 -0500
> From: Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>
> Subject: Ant Management Tasks
>
> Are these tasks only available in 4.1.x versions of Tomcat?

Officially, yes.

> I'm currently running 4.0.1 and considering an upgrade for several
> reasons.  The 4.0 manager application howto doesn't mention anything
> about the tasks, but the 4.1 howto does.  It doesn't explicitly (that I
> saw) say it's a new feature, but I infer it is.  Am I correct?
>
> Bottom line:  Can I use the tasks in 4.0.1 or do I need to wait until I
> upgrade to 4.1?

It is possible that you could grab the catalina-ant.jar from 4.1.x, and
run it against a 4.0.x installation, and some of the commands might
actually work (i.e. those cases where 4.0 has the same Manager Webapp
commands and syntax that 4.1 has).  However, it's never been tested and
you are totally on your own.

What would help the Tomcat community more would be to have everyone hammer
on the 4.1.x test releases and help us find the bugs, so we can get the
thing released sooner rather than later.  :-)

> Thanks so much!
>
> Eddie

Craig