Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Kishore <na...@techunified.com> on 2002/12/20 06:53:35 UTC

cocoon-session management.

Hi all,
               I am using cocoon to apply XSL transformation
on XML files generated by my 'SERVLETS'. So, cocoon
intercepts the client request, calls the proper application servlet, then applies xsl mapping on the servlet's output and returns the result as a html file.
                Now, the problem I am facing is, this way I am unable to maintain sessions among my servlet's clients. Each new request coming to my servlet is creating a session afresh because it's not the client directly, but cocoon that's making a request for my servlets.
               Has anybody  faced this problem or know the solution? Pl. let me know ASAP.

regards
nanda kishore.

Re: cocoon-session management.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi Kishore:

I am using XSP. I am using the CVS 2.1 version of Cocoon that have a
better authentication framework.
The special thing I did was write a the <xsp-session:getxml> tag that
works as described in:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/developing/webapps/authentication.html

I understand you have a diferent problem. Since I am using just one huge
servlet called cocoon.

Antonio Gallardo.

Kishore dijo:

Posted by Kishore <na...@techunified.com>.
Mr. Antonio Gallardo :

RE: [Question] Re: cocoon-session management.

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
See the WebServiceProxyGenerator:
http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=WebServiceProxyGenerator

Posted by "Emmanuil Batsis (Manos)" <mb...@humanmarkup.org>.

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
Yes, in principle you are right. You could use
HTTPClient to organise the session management.

But you will have to consider other points:

1.) Your subsession may be authenticated. Thus you
will have to maintain interactions between the
cocoon-client and the far-application server to
get logged into your subsystem. Then you would
be faced with flow control iussues...
This may be a problem, since your cocoon-client
operates silently in the background...

2.) Besides this, your subsession might want to
pass permanent cookies to it's client. This may
be possible with HTTP-Client, but then you will
have to maintain a cookie-database for your
cocoon clients... (No problem if your app runs
only for yourself ;-)

Both points are from my point of view problematic.
In certain cases the approach work. In other cases
you might run into complexity problems.

I would rather keep the interaction at the browser
site, thus it is the browser who keeps the cookies
and it is the cocoon-client, who acts as a proxy and
passes the cookies to the underlying subsystem...
OK, here you face other problems, but these problems
can at least be solved in general without getting
too mutch complexity into the game...

Posted by "Emmanuil Batsis (Manos)" <mb...@humanmarkup.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi Hussayn:

I agree with you. In that case you lost the session tracking. Apparently
Cocoon manages his own sessions.

I think we need to make Cocoon to work with the Tomcat Sessions or (to be
more general) with the Servlet Container Session Management. In that way
all will be OK accross multiple web applications.

Yesterday I was reading about the new persistent session management in
Tomcat 4.1.x. I think we can make use of it. But, since Cocoon works with
the Java Servlet Specification 2.2 and not 2.3, this can be an issue to
resolve. I feel like you in that the session management is weak at the
current development of Cocoon. We need some improvement here to help
webapplication development. The best approach is try to be the most
closest to the specification 2.3.

At the end, for session management in only one application, the current
authentication framework is OK.

Sorry for the incoveniences. :-D

Antonio Gallardo.

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
maybe there is a chance, if the following holds:

1.) your servlets run within your cocoon based webapp
2.) you access the servlets over "context:" or
     "cocoon:" protocol.

I was previously talking only about the "http:"
protocoll. For the other two protocols i might
be wrong in the use case described above.

regards, hussayn

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.