Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by tsuraan <ts...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/05 18:26:46 UTC

org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException

I'm getting the exception
"org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException: segment "_0
exists in external directory yet the MergeScheduler executed the merge
in a separate thread".  According to this:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/200809.mbox/<BD2A1C59-F3DD-414A-9124-DB2EE7EE4D33%40mikemccandless.com>

that only happens with addIndexesNoOptimize.  If I replace
addIndexesNoOptimize with just addIndexes, will that fix the problem,
or is the suggestion in that reply (use SerialMergeScheduler somehow)
the only solution?

Using Lucene 2.3.2 with Java 1.6, in Linux, if that matters.

Re: org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException

Posted by tsuraan <ts...@gmail.com>.
On 05/08/2009, Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Switching to addIndexes instead, or using SerialMergeScheduler, or
> upgrading to 2.4.1, should all work.

Thanks!  We'll be switching to 2.9 once it's ready.  From past
experience, lucene upgrades are simple and painless, but I don't think
I can do a 2.4.1 upgrade right now.  My code's (for some reason) doing
an optimize right after the addIndexesNoOptimize call, so it's
definitely not a problem to just switch to using plain addIndexes
instead.  Funny how code seems to grow warts like that...

Re: org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Switching to addIndexes instead, or using SerialMergeScheduler, or
upgrading to 2.4.1, should all work.

Mike